We have reached the final alphabet on my A - Z Rice series and today also marks the final day of the blogging marathon #68. I am winding up the series on a sweet note with a fragrant zafrani pulao. It is a treat from the royal kitchens of Muslim rulers, as all those other flavorful pulao / biryani versions in India. Zafrani pulao, meaning saffron rice is cooked both in savory and sweet versions. This pulao uses minimal ingredients and yet the best ones. The fragrant Basmati rice is cooked in saffron infused milk and rounded up with a garnish of toasted nuts. The saffron is the star of the recipe which lends the flavor and color to the dish and hence the name Zafrani pulao.
This is actually a straight forward recipe. Just care need to be taken to cook the rice properly where each gain stands apart rather than being mushy / clumpy. Actually a pressure cooker comes handy here to cook that perfect textured rice, especially if cooking a small quantity of pulao.
Ingredients: (2 servings)
1/2 cup Basmati rice
2 generous pinches of saffron
2 tbsp. warm milk
1 tbsp. ghee
1 to 2 tbsp. chopped / slivered almonds, raisins and cashew halves
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. Wash and soak rice in water for about 20 to 30 minutes and drain.
2. Soak saffron strands in warm milk, in the mean while.
3. Heat ghee in a small pan and toast cashews, almonds and raisins in it. The cashews and almonds must turn golden brown and the raisins should turn plump. Transfer the toasted nuts & raisins to a small bowl, using a slotted spoon.
4. To the same pan, add rice and saute for a minute. Add cardamom, nutmeg and the saffron milk from step 2.
5. Boil water and sugar in another pot until the latter melts. If using the same pan to cook, transfer this sugar water as well to the pan. Cover and cook on low flame until rice absorbs all the water and appears done.
Alternately, add everything (except the toasted nuts) to a small pressure cooker and cook for 3 whistles.
6. Let it sit for about 10 minutes so that the rice grains set and not turn mushy when handled with a spoon. Garnish with the toasted nuts and raisins and serve.
Recipes so far in A - Z Rice Dishes,
B for Bhuna Khichuri
C for Chintapandu Pulihora
D for Dindigul Thalapakatti Veg Biryani
E for Ellorai / Ellotharai
F for Fodnicha Bhaat
G for Gongura Pulihora
H for Hare Moong ki Chaaswaali Khichdi
I for Iyengar Style Kadambam
J for Jodhpuri Vegetable Pulao
K for Kaju - Karivepaku Annam
L for Lilva Khichdi
M for Mamidikaaya - Kobbari Pulihora
N for Narali Bhaat
O for Oliya
P for Peas Pulao
Q for Qabooli Biryani
R for Ram Pulao / Rajasthani Gatte Ka Pulao
S for Spinach layered Biryani
T for Tawa Pulao
U for Urad dal Khichdi
V for Varhadi Pulao
W for Waghareli Khichdi
X for Xmas Rice Pudding
Y for Yellina Chitranna
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68.
An InLinkz Link-up