HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Ragi Malt

Finger millet aka ragi is a cereal grain that is widely grown and consumed in southern parts of India. The highly nutritious grain is consumed mainly in the form of flour. The ragi flour is used to prepare nutritious dishes ranging from flat breads to desserts, catering from young to old. Today's recipe ragi malt which has regional names such as java / kanji is one such drink which can be served from toddlers to adults. It can be prepared two ways - one with milk sweetened with jaggery / sugar and the other served with salted buttermilk. My version today is a sweetened version that can be served as a healthy, gluten free breakfast or as a part of a breakfast meal. This is one of the healthy and nutritious beverages I like to start my day with and it goes to 'Blogging Marathon' under the theme 'Easy Breakfasts'.
I usually go with huri hittu to prepare ragi malt. Huri hittu is the toasted, popped and powdered ragi / finger millet grain. It has the unmistakable distinct roasted aroma. It is commercially available everywhere in Bangalore and usually my sister gifts me some packets when visiting India. My neighborhood Patel stores have started to stock these packets recently. I have noticed two varieties from the stash I usually get from India. One is a sweetened version with the addition of nuts and coconut flakes where as the other one is plain toasted one. I use the unsweetened huri hittu to prepare this malt. Even the plain finger millet flour can be toasted before using it in the ragi malt preparation though it is an optional step.

Ingredients: (1 serving)
3/4 + 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup hurihittu / finger millet flour / ragi flour
2 tbsp. powdered jaggery
2 pinches of ground cardamom 
3/4 cup boiled and cooled milk
Nuts to garnish (optional)

Directions:
* Bring 3/4 cup water to a boil in a sauce pan, preferably a non stick one.
* Combine 1/2 cup water and flour in a cup and mix well without any lumps.
* Add the flour mixture to the boiling water slowly and stir slowly so that no lumps are formed. Cook on slow flame stirring now and then until a glossy, thick consistency is noticed. If not sure whether it is cooked / when to stop, just blindly cook the mixture for about 6 - 8 minutes. 
* Add jaggery and cardamom and stir until the jaggery melts.
* Add milk to the cooked ragi mixture and stir to combine. Add extra milk if needed to get pourable consistency. 
* Pour the mixture into glasses, garnish with slivered almonds / chopped nuts and serve.

Note:
1. Sugar can be substituted for jaggery but jaggery adds more flavor to the malt.
2. Water, flour and milk can be mixed together at the beginning and cooked as well.

Comments

12 comments:

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Healthy and filling ragi malt,I have lot of sweet memories associated with this ragi malt.

Priya Suresh said...

Though am rare in making sweet ragi malt, ragi malt is always my favourite breakfast to start a day with. Extremely healthy and inviting.

Chef Mireille said...

The next time I visit Patel am going to definitely look out for these so I can try this delicious looking drink

Gayathri Kumar said...

That malt looks awesome Suma. We do make a similar version without the nuts for kids. Love this version loaded with almonds.

Harini R said...

Good one, Suma. My mom makes a ragi malt mix at home and I love it when I get to drink that. I recently got RAgi malt from the Indian stores and it turned out to be a bad batch. It smelt so bad that my kids swore they will never have it. To convince them to try this again is going to be a huge task :)

Srivalli said...

This is one super healthy breakfast suma, would love it with nuts!

cookwithrenu said...

Never had a drink with Ragi and this looks yum.

Padmajha said...

The flavor of huri hittu is really awesome! Just the other day mom and I were talking about this ragi malt! Now I really need to make this!

code2cook said...

such a healthy breakfast. will give you energy for the whole day and complete all nutrition in the body. Thanks for the recipe.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

I m a big fan of huri hittu after seeing your ragi posts suma! this is one lovely malt with ragi flour!!

Ritu Tangri said...

This sounds an interesting and undoubtedly a healthy drink. I'm having ragi flour so would love to try this drink

preeti garg said...

I never tried such type of drink.. but looks so healthy and tasty.