HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Celebrating 12th Blog Anniversary With an Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake

My daughter had tasted a chocolate chip cookie cake at her school and had decided that it was what she was going to have for her birthday this year. Barring a few years, her birthday cake has always been a chocolate based one which happens to be her one and only favorite. I am averse to the icing part, so I have never volunteered to bake her a birthday cake, and instead choose to buy one. It is another thing that she eats a slice when she cuts the cake and another on the next day. Then the cake sits in the refrigerator without being touched by anyone.

I promised her to bake that chocolate chip cookie cake but the plan somehow did not materialize. She did not want the store bought one and ended up refusing to even celebrate her birthday this year for the lack of a home baked cake. Are you wondering yet why the lady is writing about how a 'grinch' mother she had been this year. My daughter had been gracious enough to forgive and forget about the incident. She suggested to bake that cake this month instead. The month of December marks birthdays of my blog and mine. Yes. yours truly turns a year older on this Christmas. And so, here is that most requested chocolate chip cookie cake in the guise of my blog birthday that she gets to enjoy albeit late. My third cake of the week with it's origins in USA. 
Basically, this cake is a giant chocolate chip cookie though not the crispy kind and an easy one to make. It doesn't have a traditional cake texture but can be cut into neat slices. It is chewy, delicious and has rich buttery flavor. It can be served as is or decorated with a chocolate frosting around the edges of the cookie and with colorful/chocolate sprinkles. I don't know how she remembers but my teenager told me that the cake she had tasted at school tasted exactly the same. The cookie cake got a thumbs up from even her friend. The credit goes to this recipe which I converted into an eggless one.

I am realizing now as I am sitting here and drafting that I didn't even mention on my blog when it turned 10 and 11. What a busybody I have been to miss such milestones. 😉Thanks to my daughter this time, I am here happily announcing that my virtual baby has turned 12, this month. A blog that was started as a record of our family recipes has turned into a part of me somehow over the years. It has been an incredible journey where I get to see and enjoy a glimpse of global culinary world. The bonus part has been getting to know like minded fellow bloggers over this period of time. I thank everyone who spends a slice of their precious time here going through my posts and leaving encouraging words.
 
Ingredients:
1.5 flax egg 
10 tbsp. butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 + 2/3 cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chocolate chips

That's how the backside of the cookie cake looks.

Directions:
* Combine 4.5 tsp. golden flax meal and 4.5 tbsp. warm water in a bowl and keep aside for about five minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 350 deg F and grease a 8 or 9 inch pie pan or a cake pan.
* Cream butter and sugars together, about 2 minutes and mix in the flax egg and vanilla.
* Next add flour, baking soda, and salt and mix to combine. Save 2 tbsp. chocolate chips and add the rest to the batter and mix with a wooden spoon. 

* Press the cookie dough into the pie plate and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips evenly on top, pressing them down slightly.
* Bake for 22 to 25 minutes. Let the cookie cool completely.
(Mine was jiggly at the center even at 25 minutes though the edges were turning crispy. I therefore baked until a toothpick inserted at the center came out clean, not caring even it was soft. I think I baked about 5 minutes extra. It slightly firms up after cooling though it looks soft when it comes out. Don't worry if the edges are slightly crispier since you wouldn't notice it when the cake has cool down.)
* Run a knife around the edges to loosen and use a large spatula if preferring to transfer onto a plate.
* Pipe on frosting along the edges if preferred and add the sprinkles. Cut into slices and serve.

This cake goes to Bakeathon and Blogging Marathon #95 under the theme 'cake recipes' events.
Bakeathonbmlogo

Comments

16 comments:

Ritu Tangri said...

Congrats on your blog anniversary Suma. 12 years is a long time. This cookie cake looks tempting with so many chocochips and a giant size

MySpicyKitchen said...

Happy blog anniversary and advanced birthday wishes to you. It is so sweet of your daughter to wait till Blog anniversary to enjoy the cake. I have seen lot of cookie cake recipes but never tasted one. Cake has come out really well.

Swati said...

Congratulations Suma for 12th blog anniversary!! the cake looks delicious and so well baked

Priya Suresh said...

12 years of blogging, seriously tremendous Suma. Keep rocking. And this cookie cake looks prefect for a celebration. Thats so sweet of your daughter, what a lovable kid she is.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

12 years of blogging, is an achievement Suma.Congrats and kudos for the efforts.This cookie cake looks super delicious and tempting.

Gayathri Kumar said...

Happy blog anniversary Suma. I forget my blog anniversary every year because I would be so busy doing mega BM. This is a perfect cake to celebrate such a huge milestone. Studded with choco chips, it looks amazing.

Srivalli said...

Happy Birthday Suma, on the Christmas eve I was thinking I missed wishing somebody and now you remind me!...Happy Blog anniversary too, 12 is an awesome number. I have always enjoyed reading your posts and the recipes you share, thanks for continuing the wonderful work!..the cookie cake looks sinful and hope your daughter enjoyed it.

Rafeeda AR said...

12 years is truly wow! I am pushed up now... hehe... my blog will turn 6 next month and I am really wondering how I will keep it floating... but I guess since cooking and baking keeps happening with family around, somehow the blog pushes on, and there is no dearth of recipes to try... :) This cookie cake has been on my agenda for a very long time... looks so well made too! I am just relieved reading about your shenanigans with birthday cakes. We don't celebrate birthdays, but the girls still need a cake. Of late, I am so lazy to bake and frost that I prefer buying, and thankfully, the cake gets done, doesn't sit in the fridge. :)

vaishali sabnani said...

12 years is a long time ! Over the years your blog has grown beautifully , heartiest Congratulations .
The Cookie Cake sounds super delicious , just like a monster cookie , would love to bake it !

Kalyani said...

Hearty belated wishes for your blog and happy bday to u too. Loved the cookie cake here and love your simple yet Hearty recipes .. keep blogging and bestbwishes again

Varada's Kitchen said...

Wow! 12 years is a huge achievement. You must be so proud. And belated birthday wishes to you. The cookie cake looks awesome.

cookwithrenu said...

Wow 12th Anniversary.. Awesome and congratulations dear. The chocolate chip cookie looks delicious

Chef Mireille said...

belated happy birthday and congrats on the blog too. Cookie cake looks delicious

Pavani said...

Belated birthday wishes to you and your blog Suma. My blog is just a few months older than yours :-)
Chocolate chip cookie cake is a great way to celebrate the occasion. Simple, easy and delicious AND it has chocolate - so it’s a win-win.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Happy blog anniversary suma!!! So nice of you daughter to wait to celebrate in December!!! Love how the cookie cake has come up! Love the texure and the simple chocoalte swirls and sprinkles deco! Love such simple and no fuss bakes, bookmarking to try this sometime!

veena said...

Congratulations on your blog anniversary. This cookie cake looks awesome