HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Friday, December 28, 2018

Crispy, Baked Potato Wedges

Baked potato wedges neither need my introduction nor my approval seal. The wedges with a crisp exterior and fork tender insides speak for themselves. Even when I make a large baking sheet full of potato wedges, we feel like each got only a handful of them and I feel the need to stick in one more sheet of wedges into the oven. These oven baked wedges are so good that I keep making them now and then. Keep the potato skins on if using organic variety or the potatoes appear clean. Just scrub them clean and use. The potatoes I used this time didn't appear clean and I therefore peeled the skins. I just keep it basic and season them with salt, pepper and chili powders. One can season them garlic / onion powders and Parmesan cheese as well to make these irresistible wedges more flavorful. 

Ingredients:
4 Russet potatoes
3 - 4 tbsp. olive oil
Salt to taste
Freshly ground pepper to taste 
Garlic powder to taste 

Directions:
* Heat water in a sauce pan over stove-top and turn off the stove. 
* Wash and scrub the potatoes well if using organic or if they appear clean. Otherwise, peel the potatoes. Cut the potato lengthwise into two. Cut each half into 4 slices. There would be 8 pieces from each potato. If the potatoes are smaller, they can be cut into six pieces each or more if the potatoes are bigger.

* Add the cut potato slices to the warm water and leave them for about 10 minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 400 deg F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminium foil or parchment paper.
* Drain the potatoes and dry them with a towel or dab them with paper towels to dry.
* Place the potatoes, oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder if using on the prepared baking sheet. Toss the ingredients well with clean hands so that all potatoes are covered evenly with oil and spices.
 
* Arrange them on the sheet in a single layer, with one cut side down. Place the baking sheet in the oven.
* Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes and flip the potato wedges and arrange them evenly. 
* Return the pan to the oven. Bake until the potatoes are golden, crisp and are cooked through when tested with a fork, about 25 to 30 minutes.

These wedges go to Bakeathon event.
Bakeathon

Comment

13 comments:

Srivalli said...

I love this one Suma, my only concern is same as yours, none feel like they had their full and the oven time is so long that it leaves me drained to make another batch. However, I felt the oven baked ones turn out so good...yours got an excellent texture.

Priya Suresh said...

Never get bored of making this potato wedges, just love to munch them with anything. Those wedges are calling me.

vaishali sabnani said...

Here in India we do not get many variety of potatoes , hence baking takes really long , I normally preboil for a while to make any kind of potato bake .
These wedges look so nice and crisp , I would love to gorge on some .

Rafeeda AR said...

I totally agree with you, somehow don't like how much time it takes to bake potatoes... having said that, these wedges look amazing and just what is needed for a snack...

Kalyani said...

Loved the texture and the colour of these baked wedges. My elder one although not a potato fan loves it smeared with paprika

Gayathri Kumar said...

These baked wedges look super inviting Suma. My daughter is a great fan of potatoes and she always complaints that I make very less quantity.

Swati said...

Beautifully baked potato wedges!! A big batch baked in the oven can be served as a snack for get-together and parties!!

Varada's Kitchen said...

You are so right. One tray is never enough. I like the simple seasoning you have used.

Unknown said...

Baked Potatoes look so lovely! In my home everyone loves this, so I would bake atleast 2 trays of it.

cookwithrenu said...

The potato wedges look so crispy and yum, always in for such guilt free snack.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

love it suma, last bake-athon i made something similar with rosemary! ohh it was such a hit! i love these wedges, simple, fuss-free recipe! A guilt-free snack for both adults and kids!

Sharmila kingsly said...

Awesome guilt free snack.. Kids will love this for sure!!

Pavani said...

My kids will LOVE these simple baked potato wedges. My 11 year old can probably eat these every single day :-)