HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Monday, December 3, 2018

Eggless Carrot - Ginger Muffins

I was on a blogging hiatus again as I wasn't faring well this past month. What I assumed to be a slight reaction to something I ate tuned out be a case of hives and a viral infection that put me in bed for two weeks. Ironically, it took me another additional week or so of medication for the lingering effect of high doses of pain and allergy medications that I had consumed earlier to go away. Hopefully I am back and won't be on anymore blogging breaks until at least summer time. :)😌

I had signed up previously for blogging marathon and Bakeathon events for this month, not knowing how unprepared I was going to be for both the events. These muffins which I came across at  KAF site suited my purpose well for today as they involve baking (for bakeathon event) and have a vegetable sneaked in (for 'Kids' Delight' event hosted by Vidyha this month with 'Vegetables sneaked in' theme). These muffins are really good according to my teenager though I wasn't that much sold as I usually do with KAF recipes though I could not pinpoint why. It maybe just because that I am not a fan of cinnamon flavor or partially maybe I deviated from the original recipe owing to the ingredients I didn't have on hand.
I had run out of wheat flour and used all purpose flour which shouldn't be a problem as such but one of the reviewers was mentioning that the all purpose flour one was a dud compared to the wheat flour version. I used about 1/2 tsp. ground ginger as I didn't have crystallized ginger. I added an egg substitute instead of an egg and threw in some sweetened, dried cranberries into the mix. I ended up adding a few tbsp. of extra liquid as my muffin batter appeared dry and also I had to bake a few extra minutes than the time mentioned originally. 

Ingredients: (Yield 9 medium sized muffins)
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp. white wheat flour
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup golden flax meal
1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 - 3 tbsp. sweetened crystallized ginger
2 tbsp. chopped walnuts
1 egg substitute
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup grated carrot
2 tbsp. raisins / sweetened cranberries (optional)

Directions:
* Combine all the dry ingredients including ginger in a mixing bowl. Whisk together egg substitute, buttermilk and oil in another small bowl. 
* Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold in the carrot and raisins if using. 
* Grease a muffin pan or add liners to muffin cups. Scoop in muffin batter, filling each cup almost full. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. 
* Preheat the oven to 400 deg F while the batter is resting. 
* Place the muffin pan in the preheated oven and bake until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. 

Bakeathonbmlogo

Comments

24 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Thats brilliant to make a post for two events Suma, and those muffins looks absolutely stunning and dangerously delicious to enjoy without any fuss. Beautiful muffins there.

Gayathri Kumar said...

Welcome back Suma. Hope you are better now. These muffins look so good with the carrots. If they are kid approved then there is no problem with your recipe.

Pavani said...

Beautiful carrot muffins Suma. Love the addition of crystallized ginger in there - must have made them spicy, sweet and yummy!!

Srivalli said...

Going on an unexpected break is tough, hope you are doing much better. These muffins are great to look at and while your preference might vary, its the kiddo's that matter..:)..very healthy and great to have for a break...

Kalyani said...

I am particularly drawn to the crystalised ginger here, Suma :-) as its eggless, I can ask my kids to pitch in to bake this yummy treat :-)

Rafeeda AR said...

I love carrot cakes, but that addition of ginger is very intriguing! I would have gobbled down a couple of those muffins for sure... I hope you are feeling better now..

Varada's Kitchen said...

The muffins look great. Carrot and ginger is a nice combination. Maybe the cranberries altered the flavor, they have a tendency to overpower a recipe.

Glad you are all better now.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Absolutely delicious looking muffin,wish to have some.

Sharmila kingsly said...

Beautifully baked Muffins.. Carrot and ginger should have really gone well together..

CookwithRenu said...

Ginger and carrot in a muffin is something different and made using oats flour is just eoe. The muffins look yum and soft.

vaishali sabnani said...

Combo of BM and Bakeathon ! Wow ! A lot of planning goes into it , but great ! Hope you have completely recovered .
The ginger and carrot is a nice combo and the flax meal must have made these muffins healthy and delicious .

Ritu Tangri said...

Smart Suma... Killing two birds with one stone 😊. The muffins look absolutely delicious and of course healthy too

veena said...

These muffins will definitely be a kid's delight. Looks super soft

Unknown said...

golden flax meal is a wonderful egg replacer, it just looks like egg. Muffins look great.

Chef Mireille said...

you put so much of all my favorite things in this one muffin - they look as pretty also as I am sure they taste

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

I made carrot and ginger cake for last month BM suma, i can vouch how delicious these muffins must be! i love the zing ginger adds to the muffins!!Love the addition of cranberries too, a nice tart flavor! i m in for muffins anyday, quickie treat or a filling snack anytime!!!

Pavani said...

Muffins with carrot and ginger looks absolutely delicious. Feel like grabbing some and Beautifully presented.

Ritu Tangri said...

The muffins look absolutely delicious. And it is so smart of you to use the same post for both the events

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

That is a brilliant idea to make muffins with carrot and ginger. Looks so beautiful as well!

sushma said...

Eggless carrot ginger muffins looks so delicious. Good one

Harini R said...

Glad you are feeling better, Suma. These muffins look exotic. My kids are not fans of cranberries but I am sure ginger and carrot make a great combination in muffins.

Swati said...

Carrot and ginger two great flavors especially for winters!!! your muffins look great and so tempting, just want to pick one and gobble down!!

Archana said...

Glad you are better now Suma. The muffins look n sound fine to me but then we tend to split hairs in our own bakes.

Padmajha said...

Good to know you are feeling better Suma. The flavors sound nice and it is definitely a nice way to sneak veggies into the kids diet!