HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Friday, December 14, 2018

Savory Semolina Loaf

There have been bookmarked recipes over the years that I have tried and loved so much that they have become a permanent part of my repertoire. This savory semolina loaf which is dubbed as upma loaf in my home is one such recipe that I have been making for nearly a decade now. It is my go to bread when I am packing snacks for our road trips. It is like upma served as slices and can be a great 'to go' snack for savory food lovers without all the mess or need of cutlery. 

Fine or regular variety semolina can be used here without toasting. Today I used roasted variety which was closer to the one called in India as bansi rava. Other finely chopped vegetables like green beans and capsicum can be added as well. I omitted onions in this particular loaf and accidentally switched the quantities of water and yogurt. The bread with the yogurt quantity mentioned below usually yields me more porous bread.
Ingredients:
1 cup semolina
1 cup yogurt
1/4 cup water (or more)
1 tsp. salt 
2 pinches of ground turmeric
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 tsp. baking soda
Sesame seeds (optional)
For seasoning:
2 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. grated ginger
1 finely chopped spicy green chillie
Few curry leaves, finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
1 grated carrot
A handful of green peas

Directions:
* Preheat the oven to 375 deg F. Grease a mini loaf pan.
* Combine the semolina, yogurt, water, salt, turmeric and cilantro in a mixing bowl and keep it aside.
* Heat oil in a pan and add mustard and cumin seeds. When they start to pop and sizzle add grated ginger, chilies, curry leaves and vegetables. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off the stove. Pour this seasoning mixture into the semolina bowl and mix well to combine. Add extra water if the batter appears too thick.
* Finally add in the baking soda and pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle white sesame seeds evenly over the top of the batter.
* Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes.
* Remove from the oven and let cool a bit before slicing.

It goes to Bakeathon event.
Bakeathon

Comments

16 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

How beautiful those slices looks. Ultimately delicious savory semolina loaf. You got them prefect Suma. Well done.

Swati said...

I often bake cakes with Semolina, savory semolina cake looks so tempting and interesting !! I am sure it must be one spicy treat!!Will try this way also!!

Gayathri Kumar said...

I love a savoury loaf with semolina. As you said, it is like having upma as a slice. This would make a delicious meal when on road. The loaf has turned out so beautiful.

Srivalli said...

Wow Suma, those loaves look amazing...will surely want to make this.

Kalyani said...

guess we both posted this in this bakeathon.. yours is way delicious and moist than my version. I would definitely want to try this, Suma :)

Rafeeda AR said...

This is such a lovely loaf, one class recipe! I posted this last Bakeathon, I must bake these again since now it is picnic season and we maybe moving out frequently...

Pavani said...

What a cool way of serving good old upma. I'm going to try this for the family soon. Love how simple and easy it is to make.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

The savory loaf looks fabulous,its been in my to do list.Yours tempted me to attempt.

Sharmila kingsly said...

the texture is so so neat and mindblowing.. Beautiful bake...

Unknown said...

Yes!! That's a Baked Upma Loaf. Perfect and fabulous savoury bake.

Chef Mireille said...

what an amazing loaf that can be eaten all by itself on its own.

veena said...

I have baked this too. This looks very delicious. Pictures are amazing too

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

love savory bakes suma, these thick slices of semolina loaf and a cup of adrak wali chai, wow it is bliss to imagine!! Scrumptious bake!

Varada's Kitchen said...

This is the best recipe of baked savory semolina I have seen. Bookmarked. I have to try it.

Pavani said...

Baked upma loaf looks absolutely delicious and moist with beautiful texture. Thanks for the recipe.

Ritu Tangri said...

This is quite an interesting recipe to make upma into a loaf. My family would certainly love it. It's going to breakfast for tomorrow :)