HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Thursday, October 3, 2019

Batani Kobbari Koora / Peas - Coconut Curry

After the month long marathon of 'Indian Sweets and Snacks', today's post seems like an easy-peasy one, as my daughter used to say when she was young. Each post of the marathon ended up being quite lengthy even without planning to do so but I will keep it simple and quick for today. I am posting easy side dishes to go with rotis or rice for the next three days. The first one in the series is a  curry of fresh peas cooked in a coconut base.

I don't regularly make my side dishes with fresh green peas being the star ingredient and therefore was intrigued when I came across this recipe on a TV show and jotted it down. I eat peas but don't claim to be a fan. My mother probably is one in our family. She buys a large quantity of  fresh pea pods, and sits patiently separating the peas from the pods. She freezes them in a large box and uses them whenever needed. I on the other hand don't remember ever shelling a pea pod in my life. However to my defense, I have done my share of shelling avarekayi / hyacinth beans which really happens to be a chore. I buy frozen peas for the ease and the year long availability and randomly throw them in mixed vegetable dishes or breakfast dishes. 

The recipe however has been lying in my drafts folder for the past four years since I wasn't sure how it would turn out. I tried it today as it seemed a right one for this week's 'Easy side dishes' theme. It is a simple and easy preparation and uses Indian kitchen staples like onion, tomato and coconut and that too in small quantities. This is a recipe to try when one runs out of vegetables, given that one still has on hands these basic ingredients. The only changes I made to the recipe was using garam masala in place of cumin and coriander powders, adding a little milk at the end and changing the sequence of cooking steps. To be honest, this is one of those dishes I had zero expectations while noting it down and even while preparing it. However it ended up being a delicious side dish to eat with rotis, with sweet undertones of coconut and peas. I was planning to pass the recipe to my sister by the time I finished eating it. 😀

Below are some of the recipe links I posted with fresh green peas.
Green Pea Rice
Green Pas Fritters / Batani Vada
Matarchi Usal
Matar ka Paratha
Peas Pulao
Ingredients: Yield 3 - 4 servings
onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. ginger paste / minced ginger
1 tsp. green chili paste
1 tomato, finely chopped
2 pinches of turmeric powder
1/2 cup fresh coconut
Salt to taste
1 cup fresh / frozen peas
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. coriander powder
Cilantro to garnish

Directions:
* Heat oil and add chopped onion, ginger and green chili paste. Fry until onion turns pinkish / lightly browns depending upon whether red or white onions are used.
* Then add tomato and turmeric, cook until mushy. 
* Meanwhile, grind the coconut to a thick paste adding water as needed. Add the coconut paste, frozen / fresh peas, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt and a little water if needed. Let the mixture cook for about 5 minutes or as needed. Taste in between and see if the seasonings need any adjustment. I added a few tbsp. of fat free milk at the end.
* Garnish with cilantro.

bmlogo
This post is an entry for Blogging Marathon #105 under 'Everyday Easy Side Dishes' theme. Check what other marathoners are cooking, clicking at the link.

Comments

6 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

My dad was very fond of peas and he would get a complete sack of them , obviously we all kids too sat down to peel . But now I don’t have the patience , so during winters the peas are removed from the pods by staff ! Though during off season it’s the frozen ones which are handy .
The curry sounds delicious , and except for coconut , is similar to the way I make .

Srivalli said...

We are quite fond of peas and buy huge amounts when it's in season and I freeze it for the year long, and even then my mom buys the frozen stuff apart from the dried ones. So you can imagine how much we use it. This easy simple curry surely goes well with rotis.

Rafeeda AR said...

This is one dish that can save our grace when there is nothing much to cook! I always stock on frozen green peas and this one I guess must be made during one of the weekdays... sounds so easy to let go...

Harini R said...

OMG! I needed this recipe 3 days back :) I was literally cleaning out my fridge and couldn't find any worthwhile vegetable :). Love such simple and basic sabjis.

Pavani said...

My mom keeps shelled peas in the freezer all the time :-) This sure is an easy-peasy curry - great to serve with both roti or rice.

Amara’s cooking said...

I keep shelled peas in the freezer throughout the year, this is such an easy and comforting dish. Will try it soon.