HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Ice Cream Sandwiches


I prepared a couple of vegetable based sandwiches in advance this time for blogging marathon only to come up with other posts at the last moment. So much for advanced planning. I didn't bother even to use the initially planned ones. :) I wanted to include a dessert as well in the "Sandwiches without using bread" theme and so here is this drool-worthy confection. These are perfect for kid centric parties as they can be made in advance and the assembly literally needs no time. 



Ingredients:
Cookies
Ice cream of your preference
Chopped M&M' s (optional)

For each sandwich, use 2 large cookies and about 1/4 cup of ice cream, slightly softened. Usually chocolate chip cookies / wafers are used for sandwiches and vanilla ice cream is the popular one used for the stuffing. I had run out of both and so went with shortbread cookies and strawberry ice cream though I would have preferred vanilla flavored ice cream. I used pecan shortbread cookies which are not large sized and so used about 2 Tbsp ice cream for each sandwich. 

Assembling the sandwiches:
* Leave the ice cream on counter for about five minutes to soften it. Using a big spoon, spread the softened ice cream across the flat side of one cookie.


* Place the flat side of the second cookie onto the ice cream and press gently. You can even roll the ice cream edge into chopped M&M's. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and freeze for about 15 minutes or up to a week.


This is my Day 3 post of Blogging Marathon #26, under the theme "Sandwiches without using Bread". Check what other marathoners are cooking during this BM#26.

Comments

22 comments:

Jayashree said...

The best made plans are the last minute ones. I love everything that you've put up under this theme for BM....but this one takes the cake..or should I say sandwich?

Akila said...

Loveable n interesting sandwich
Event: Dish name starts with R till April 15th

Srivalli said...

I was hoping somebod would do it with ice cream and here you are!..such a delightful idea suma..I am sure kids would love this..:)..and topping with m&m is so good..I loved all your ideas, thanks for doing it!

Hari Chandana said...

Wowww.. you are awesome Suma :D

Vimitha Durai said...

Would make a great party dessert. yum

Unknown said...

very thoughtful... I was wondering what are sandwiches without breads.. now I am learning there are a few!!!
Sowmya
Ongoing Event - What is with my Cuppa
Ongoing Event - HITS - Diabetic Friendly

Anonymous said...

I have never eaten one of these things but I just love the colors. You have assembled it really well. Cheers

Nammaruchi.blogspt.com said...

Looks very attractive and delicious..

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Ahh Suma, i too planned for the same next week!!! You beat me!!! :) Sandwiches are looking super yum!!! Literally Drooling over the pics!!!

Priya Suresh said...

Any leftovers there, Suma those sandwiches are killing me, kids will go crazy if they see these beauties.

Manju said...

Wonderful ice cream sandwich love this.

Chef Mireille said...

what kid can say no to this

Gayathri Kumar said...

Wow! Looks so delicious. I have never tasted an icecream sandwich. Need to try it...

Pavani said...

OMG, those ice cream sandwiches look awesome, I'm literally drooling over the pics. This reminds me of my brownie ice cream sandwiches that I made last year, but never got around to post.

Rajani S said...

I have heard abut ice cream sandwiches before, I used to think it was sloppy and time consuming. Thanks for correcting my wrong notion!!

These look very nice!

Kalyani said...

wow ! what a treat... loved your entire series this week, Suma :-)

preeti garg said...

Icecream sandwich look perfect and awesome in color

Harini R said...

I totally agree that the kids will love these! Love the idea of chopping M n Ms for this!

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Love adding the chopped M & M's! Adds crunch to the recipe. My friend recently brought something like this for a get together and before layering the icecream on the cookies, she smeared the cookies with some Chocolate ganche.

Shylaja Praveen said...

The sandwich sounds delicious and crunchy. Nice sandwich as a dessert.

veena said...

wow!!!!My god, how do you people come up with such awesome yummy delicacies.

Corporate to Kitchen said...

This is such an innovative dish! Lokks so inviting.