HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Hot Cocoa Mix


When my son was young, hot cocoa and warm apple cider used to be his favorite drinks during the cold weather. Now my daughter asks for hot cocoa sometimes. I keep it pretty basic and prepare it with milk, cocoa powder, sugar and nothing else. Keeping a stock of homemade hot chocolate mix can be handy if you drink it regularly and can be customized according to one's likings / age level. Also it can be a delicious gift during the holiday season.
Since I was doing kids' recipes this week, I kept it simple. Start with a good quality cocoa powder and equal or a little higher quantity confectioner's sugar (powdered sugar). I added sprinkles, chocolate chips and also some marshmallows. I prefer fresh milk over dry powder when serving kids. However you can add dry milk powder, a pinch of salt/cayenne pepper, cinnamon or other things of your preference to cater adults.


You can pour the contents in a pretty jar and tie a ribbon or gift wrap it. If this is going to be a part of a edible gift platter, you can just pack it as I did. Or pack it in a bag along with a mug.

Note:
Marshmallows are not a vegetarian / vegan option. We don't consume them but I added since I had them handy and only for the blog pictures.

 

Check what other marathoners are cooking during this month long marathon.

Comments

13 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

That's a very cool idea to make the ready mix, looks wonderful. Like that packing idea, in fact you will see it in my future post.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

beautiful idea, this is nice for kid's as return gifts too....

Priya Suresh said...

Thats a fantastic and very brilliant idea of making hot chocolate mix, thats a cute packing too..

Harini R said...

That is a cool idea to make the chocolate mix at home!

kitchen queen said...

fantastic idea to make chocolate mix.

Srivalli said...

Very neat idea to pack it as gift Suma..never tried marshmallows..but they do look pretty!

Nalini's Kitchen said...

wonderful idea and loved the packing...

Pinksocks said...

Oh what an interesting gift. I should do this too.

preeti garg said...

Cool idea

Rajani S said...

Edible gifts are always interesting and you have presented it so well! Love that cone and the idea of gifting with a cup...

sujitha said...

Good idea to pack... loved ur work...

veena said...

Lovely idea suma and love the packing!!

Pavani said...

That's a really interesting food gift. Very attractive packing too. I was actually wondering about the marshmallows in the picture until I read the disclaimer :-)