HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Biscotti Bites

I saved the best for last. "Best" according to my daughter. I consider a baking experiment hit when my daughter is ready to finish off the entire batch without sharing it with any one. I consider it a super hit when my daughter keeps asking me for another batch without forgetting about the stuff even after a month or so. This is what happened with these cookies and my daughter absolutely loved them.
I tried them from Martha Stewart Living magazine, which I subscribe regularly. I tried these cookies the day I got that particular edition since the picture of these bites got my attention. I instantly knew that my daughter was going to love these chocolate covered bites. It is like a quick take on the traditionally twice baked crunchy biscotti. The only goof up I did was heaping a tablespoon of batter instead of a teaspoon though my daughter didn't complain. And so instead of bites, I ended up with chunky cookies.
I halved the original recipe and should have got around 50 bites according to the recipe. I did not get that many may be because I used a tablespoon sized dough for each bite. The recipe also had about a tbsp. of grapefruit zest that I omitted.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. fine cornmeal (I had coarse cornmeal and so substituted it with all purpose flour.)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp. flax seed meal + 3 tbsp. water
1/2 to 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
5 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Fine sanding sugar, for sprinkling (I didn't use it.)
Method:
* Combine flax seed meal and water in a small bowl and keep it aside for 4 -5 minutes.
* Mix flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
* Beat butter until smooth. Add granulated sugar and beat again until fluffy. Add flax seed mixture and beat again until well combined. Add flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined. Next beat in coconut and half the chocolate until evenly distributed.
* Line the baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop heaping teaspoonfuls of dough, spaced 1 inch apart, on the sheets. I would recommend slightly flattening them with fingers. Sprinkle sanding sugar if using. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 350 deg F / 175 deg C. Place the cookie sheets in the oven. Bake rotating sheets halfway through, until golden, 18 - 20 minutes. Let them cool completely.
* Melt remaining chocolate in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring until chocolate turns smooth. Dip bottoms of cooled cookies in melted chocolate.
* Set them on parchment lined baking sheets and again refrigerate them until chocolate is set.
This is going to be a part of
1. BM # 37 under the theme of "Baked Snacks".
2. Srivalli's "Kids' Delight" event, hosted by PJ this month with the theme "Baked Treats For Kids".
 

15 comments:

Usha said...

Chocolate covered biscotti bites are mouthwatering and am not surprised your daughter kept asking for these even after a month.

Unknown said...

very very delicious and yummy biscotti bites :) tempting me !!

Srivalli said...

I guess you are right in saving this for last, it is such a treat! and I am sure your daughter's taste is great..:)..tell her that I love all her favorite!

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Crispy and crunchy looking biscottis. Amazing looking pics.
Deepa

Akila said...

Tempting biscotti

Harini R said...

I am sure my kids will love these without the chocolate!!

Pavani said...

Very interesting way of making bite size biscottis. I'm sure my son would love these too.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

this is typical recipe to be found on the veggie platter, just when one feels we are about to read a regular biscotti or baked cookie kind of thing, you end up twisting it beautifully, loved it and cant wait to try

Chef Mireille said...

I can see y your daughter loves these so much

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Such a lovely recipe and I love the bite size version!

Padmajha said...

This is an absolute treat indeed! I now know why the lil one loved it :)

Unknown said...

Delicious & tempting bites..

The Mad Scientist's Kitchen said...

Droooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool! I am making these.soon

Anonymous said...

Hi there. This recipe sounds great. I was wondering if the flax seed is to replace egg(s)? If so, how many egg(s) did the original recipe have? I'm asking because I use an egg replacer instead of flax seed in my baking. Thank you.

Suma Gandlur said...

Anonymous,
It is one egg for the quantity of ingredients I mentioned.