HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Caraway Cookies

I make it a point to bake / buy cookies regularly as they tend to disappear quickly at our home. They happen to be one of my daughter's favorite after-school snack items and besides, her dad loves to have some along with his evening coffee. And so, I keep on looking forward to try out new cookie recipes whenever I get a chance. Of course blogging marathon now a days is also serving as an inspiration. :) 
I got to try these caraway cookies today from a cookbook I own. Years ago, I had bought two cookbooks on the spur of the moment. The books combined have more than 200 recipes with beautiful pictures. However I have hardly tried any recipes from them though I go through them regularly. Today, my attention went to one of those books called "Baking" accidentally while cleaning the bookshelf and somehow I thought of trying out one recipe today. I already have recipes ready for this week's marathon but still I wanted to bake one more stuff. :)
These caraway cookies caught my attention because of the presentation, easy preparation and their color, which of course I could not achieve in my cookies. :) Nevertheless, the cookies tasted good with hints of caraway seeds / ajwain flavor. My daughter loves to eat raw cumin seeds and caraway seeds and so I had one more reason to try them. I am mostly used to taste ajwain in spicy dishes and this was a welcome change. If you are not used to the strong caraway seeds' flavor, go with poppy seeds instead.

 Ingredients: (Makes about 60 cookies of 2 inches diameter)
1 tbsp. flax seed meal + 3 tbsp. of water (Or use 1 egg if you consume them.)
2 cups all purpose flour
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup butter, cut into small pieces
1&1/4 cups superfine sugar (I added only a cup and it was enough sweetness.)
1.5 to 2 tbsp. caraway seeds
Milk as needed
Crystal sugar for sprinkling
Method:
* Mix flax seed meal and water in a small cup and leave it aside for about 5 minutes.
* Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Rub in butter with fingertips until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Stir in the sugar, caraway seeds and the flax seed meal. Bring together to form a dough. At this point, I think it is impossible for the dough to come together without using a liquid. I had to add more than 1/4 cup milk at room temperature. Form a soft dough adding milk little by little.
* Preheat the oven to 325 deg F and grease a cooking sheet.
* Flour your working surface if needed and roll the dough thinly and cut into rounds of about 2 inch diameter. 
* Transfer the dough rounds onto it. Brush them with milk (or beaten egg if using) and sprinkle with a little sugar. (I was baking another batch of cookies, got confused and accidentally sprinkled fine sugar. )
* Bake for about 15 minutes or until the cookies are crisp and lightly golden in color. (I had to bake few extra minutes.)
* Let them cool on a wire rack and store them in airtight container.
This is going to be a part of
1. BM # 37 under the theme of "Baked Snacks".
2. Srivalli's "Kids' Delight" event, hosted by PJ this month with the theme "Baked Treats For Kids".

Comments

16 comments:

nandoos kitchen said...

very lovely cookies.

Lifewithspices said...

wow tis s such a flavorful one.. love to replace apf wit wheat flour..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Crispy and crunchy looking cookies. Lovely preparation.
Deepa

Padmajha said...

Such nice biscuits! My bookmark list is growing!!

Usha said...

Cookies disappear in no time even my house. In my house, I am the only one who eats them.. :) Perfectly baked cookies

Pavani said...

Adding caraway seeds to sweet cookies is indeed interesting. They look and sound delicious.

Varada's Kitchen said...

Very different and interesting combination of flax and caraway seeds

Chef Mireille said...

n ever though of using caraway in sweet cookies...unique indeed

Srivalli said...

Thanks for the recipe, I am going to try..Suma looks like I have quite a few of yours bookmarked!..all these baked dishes are great to do..

Harini R said...

Lovely cookies..my older one will probably bake them herself if I show her this post :)

The Pumpkin Farm said...

nice and lovely cookies , works for the weather we are currently living under

Archana said...

Bookmarking! these are the kind my family will love.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

When kids are around, snacks are si important! Love these cookies...

Mrs.geek said...

Just tried these though I added some crushed pecans. Might be my favorite cookie ever thanks!

Anonymous said...

The illustration does not show caraway seeds.

Suma Gandlur said...

Anonymous, the black flecks you see in those cookies are caraway seeds.