HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Lemon Poha

Event: Blogging Marathon #42
Theme: Easy Tiffins

A simple and quick recipe when you are looking a for a light breakfast option or to beat those hunger pangs in between meals.

Ingredients:(3 servings)
3 cups thick poha
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp peanuts
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp chana dal / split chickpeas
1 tsp urad dal / split black gram
2 - 3 green chillies, finely chopped
Few curry leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
A couple of pinches of asafoetida powder
Salt to taste
1 tsp lemon juice

Method:
* Wash poha in a colander and drain. Leave the poha aside for about 5 minutes in the colander itself.
* Heat oil in a pan. Add peanuts, mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal. When the peanuts and dals turn golden brown, add chillies, curry leaves, turmeric and asafoetida powder. Fry chillies for a few seconds.
* Next add poha and salt. Mix well, cover and cook for about 5 - 7 minutes on low flame. Add lemon juice to poha, mix well and serve warm.

Comments

10 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

I want to finish that bowl of delicious poha, makes me hungry.

Nisha said...

Lovely Click and Poha is my most favourite.. :)

Usha said...

Poha is one snack I can't get it right. It either becomes dry or too soft and mushy. So I even stopped trying. Instead I use murmura.

Suma Gandlur said...

Usha, I think the thick variety poha we get here in US is not the same as we are used to in south India. If you soak in water, it would turn mushy.
Besides, the majority of poha flakes I get is already broken in bits even before I open the packet and so featuring a dish with poha flakes intact is practically impossible.
For a perfectly cooked poha, I would suggest you to just wash the poha in a colander, drain and leave it aside for 5 minutes. It will work.

Varada's Kitchen said...

Poha looks great! It is one of our favorite snacks.

Denny said...

Poha is one of my most favorite snacks. Lovely pics!

Srivalli said...

Such a delicious snack Suma..my boys actually love the poha, only sad part being they don't like the chana dal or peanut..else they are game to carry this for their snack box..very lovely bowl of poha..

Pavani said...

This is our go-to dish for quick breakfast or snack.

Harini R said...

Good one. This is one of my all time favorites. Except that I don't make it as often as I love to.

nandoos kitchen said...

would make a perfect breakfast.