Here is a breakfast idea, to savor on a lazy weekend without actually hovering around the stove. This apple pancake, redolent with cinnamon flavor is baked in an oven instead of using a stove. I tweaked the recipe to suit my preferences and my daughter was totally sold on these pancakes.
Recipe idea: Betty Crocker
Ingredients: (Serves 2 or 3)
1/4 cup warm milk
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp. butter / margarine (Even a tbsp. would work.)
1/2 cup milk at room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
1 small apple, thinly sliced
1&1/2 tsp. cinnamon sugar
Maple syrup to serve (optional)
* Combine apple cider vinegar and 1/4 cup warm milk in a small bowl and leave it aside for about 5 minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 400 degree F.
* While the oven is heating, melt the butter in a 9 inch glass pie plate, placing it in the oven. Or melt the butter in a microwave.
* Whisk milk & vinegar mixture, the remaining 1/2 cup milk, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Add flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon sugar and whisk until a lump free batter is formed. Pour the mixture into the butter pan. Arrange the apple slices evenly on the batter.
* Place the batter pan in the preheated oven and bake until the edges are deep golden brown. The original recipe mentions to bake for about 20 minutes though I had to bake longer. Besides I was caught up in something else and forgot to remove it on time. No harm was done but only the whole pancake turned golden brown through out and the color of the apple peel was not noticeable anymore.
This goes to Blogging marathon #60 under the theme 'Bookmarked Recipes'. Check the link to see what other marathoners are cooking.