For novices, Gojjus are kind of stews bursting with myriad, yet balanced flavors and are a specialty of Karnataka cuisine. Those flavors are a treat for your taste buds. Some gojjus (this pineapple one for instance) are associated with festivities and celebrations and some (like hagalakayi gojju) are cooked at home to perk up the taste buds and escape the humdrum of everyday saaru and hulis (dals from that state.)
The preparation is quite simple and don't be put off by the long list of the ingredients presented here. Some go for tadka and some for grinding. Try this if you haven't earlier and you would not be disappointed.
Ingredients needed for 3 - 4 servings:
1 cup pineapple cubes (if using canned ones, rinse the cubes well)
1 & 1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp jaggery powder
1 tbsp tamarind juice (tamarind soaked in water and squeezed)
A pinch of turmeric powder
For tadka: 2 -3 tsp oil, 1 tsp chanadal, 1 tsp mustard seeds, little asafoetida powder, a red chili broken into bits
For gojju powder:
4 Tbsp dry coconut (copra), shredded
2 Tbsp chanadal
1 Tbsp uraddal
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
a pinch of methi seeds
6 byadagi chilies (red chilies which give color & are less spicier)
Preparing Gojju Pudi / Powder:
Toast chanadal and uraddal separately in a sauté pan till they turn reddish and remove. Add coriander seeds to the pan and saute on low flame till it turns a few shades darker. Similarly toast sesame seeds, methi seeds and chilies for a few seconds. Cool all the ingredients and grind into a fine powder.
- Take a kadai or a pan. Heat the oil in it and the chanadal and mustard seeds. When the dal start to turn reddish, add the asafoetida powder and the red chili. Then add the pineapple cubes and a little water. Cook till pineapples are done or the pineapple cubes can be cooked in advance in a microwave with a little water.
- Then add the gojju powder, turmeric powder, tamarind, jaggery, salt and water (I added about 2.5 cups) as needed. Check the flavor and adjust the seasonings, if any needed.
- Cook till the gojju thickens.
- Serve with rotis / rice.
1. Gojju pudi can be prepared in large batches and can be stored in an air tight container and used whenever needed.
2. Curry leaves are optional in this gojju recipe as there are too many flavors present in the dish.
Post a comment