HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Mamidi Allam Pachadi



I have been cooking long enough that I don't need to call my mother for recipes. However, there are some exceptions. Yes, as usual. :) One of those exceptions is pickle making since I don't happen to make them regularly as finding certain key ingredients locally is next to impossible. I still manage to prepare whatever is feasible here since spicy pickles are an integral part of our cuisine. Andhra households need pickles to perk up their food and especially, a good variety of them to beat the humdrum. This mamidi allam pachadi is one of those and the recipe comes from my mother.
As the name suggests, mamidi allam / mango ginger is a root vegetable belonging to the ginger family. The regular ginger and the mango ginger differ in the flavor factor. Exploding with fragrance and flavors of a raw mango and ginger combo, the mango ginger stands way apart from the regular ginger though appearing similar. Check Bharathy's blog for the image of the ginger mango. The ones I get here are smaller versions of the ones available in India and almost similar to turmeric roots in appearance. I think her image is the better representation of the real deal. :)
I usually post about the stuff I have made in my kitchen. This particular pickle recipe and the quantities are from my mother. My mother said that this is a standard recipe but she gave approximations for the jaggery, salt and chili powder quantities. And so follow your discretion while following this. :)
This can be stored for longer periods. I have mine over for three years now, refrigerated. It can be eaten with rice and ghee or can be served as an accompaniment to many Indian breakfast dishes.

Ingredients:
250 gms mango ginger
100 gms tamarind
4 -5 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp jaggery
Tadka: Oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds and a pinch of asafoetida
And a moisture free area to work

Method:
1. Wash the mango ginger roots and let dry. Then peel and grate them.
2. Grind all the ingredients into a smooth paste with out adding any water.
3. Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds and asafoetida. When the mustard seeds start to crackle, turn off the stove. Let cool and then add this tadka to the ground pachadi and mix well. Store in a clean, dry ceramic / glass jar.

This goes to Hima's Pickle / Achar / Uragayi Mela.

Check out the other bloggers doing this Blogging Marathon.
30 minute meals: Priya Mahadevan, Pavani
Entries for the ongoing events: Priya Suresh, Harini & me
Kid friendly dishes: Vatsala, Jay, Kamalika
Rice dishes: Veena KrishnaKumar, Padma Rekha, Priya Srinivasan

Comments

20 comments:

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

Looks superb n perfect..
Tasty appetite

Ila said...

Yummy and classy :) like :)

Unknown said...

Manga-inji thokku looks killer! Love Love Love this preparation - Wish we could find some here :(!

KrithisKitchen said...

Looks so yummy..

http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com

harini-jaya said...

This is prepared just like the normal ginger pickle at my mom's place. But these days, my mom prepares chutney instead of pickle.. looks good

Shanavi said...

Am also one among the millions who love thios pickle, Great job Suma..Superly made and looks gorgeous

Priya Suresh said...

Wow wat a catchy and spicy pachadi, just mouthwatering here..

Unknown said...

Mango ginger looks deliciouss.cute pictures.

Unknown said...

I love such tangy pachadis. And that pic looks so inviting!

Unknown said...

Suma...just mail me a jar...I will pay for the expenses....no more talking!....too good!
Smitha
Smitha's Spicy Flavors

Usha said...

Very tempting mamidi allam pachadi!

Pavani said...

I love this pachadi. My neighbor used to make it. My mom never did. It looks yummy.

Prema said...

wonderful recipe,gargeous picture...

Raji said...

I love this thokku...thanks for sharing this.

Shoba Shrinivasan said...

Hi

First time on your spacce and I love pickles f all sorts. Your mango ginger pickle looks so yummy and drool... i love pickles wth curd rice anyday!!!

Shobha

chef and her kitchen said...

We too make this..I like this more than the regular ginger..:)

Divya said...

superb as usual perfect pic...

Gayathri Kumar said...

Very tempting pickle

Latha said...

Very tempting pickle.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

mouth-watering!!!!