HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Friday, April 27, 2012

Eggplant Kurma

E for Eggplant Kurma

As a kid, I managed to eat eggplants but it never was a part of my favorites' list. The status hasn't changed much since then but I now dearly relish the spicy eggplant rice dish, vangibhath. Especially my in laws' version since it contains crisp fried eggplants and potatoes. My husband on the other hand is a great fan of the vegetable and whenever he spots eggplants starts picking them and questioning me at the same time what I am going to prepare with the stuff he is buying. 
Last week grocery shopping was no different and we ended up buying a large quantity of eggplants. Even after preparing vangibhath, I was left with about 2 dozens more. I was looking for a gravy curry to go with the jeera rice I prepared today and was also looking for ways to use the eggplants. And so I ended up with this rich and flavorful kurma. The husband was very delighted with the dish and so it appears here. :)

Ingredients: (4 - 6 servings)
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
Few curry leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 big onion)
1 cup chopped tomatoes (2 tomatoes)
2 cups thinly sliced eggplants  (I lengthwise sliced 6 baby eggplants)
Salt to taste
To grind:
2 Tbsp roasted chickpeas / dalia, 10 almonds, 1/2 tsp fennel seeds, 1 tsp poppy seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 one inch piece cinnamon, 3 - 4 green chillies, a small piece ginger, 1/4 cup grated, fresh coconut

Eggpant kurma served with jeera rice

Method:
Heat oil and add cumin. When they start to brown, add onion, curry leaves and turmeric. Fry onions on low flame until they turn translucent. Next add tomatoes and cook until mushy. Then add eggplants and cook covered on low flame until they are done. Add a few tbsp of water if necessary.
Meanwhile, grind the ingredients mentioned under "to grind" adding little water. Add this paste and salt to the eggplant mixture,  simmer for about 5 minutes.
Serve with plain or flavored rice / rotis.


Check what other marathoners are cooking during BM#15..

Comments

17 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Simply love the addition of roasted gram,will give a try..Kurma with eggplants sounds truly fabulous.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

sounds interesting...never tried kurma with eggplant,looks yummy.

Vardhini said...

Nice presentation and kurma looks tasty.

Vardhini
CooksJoy

Champa said...

I love egg plants for one main reason. Easy to chop. Other than that I love vangibhath but that's about it. I make all different kinds, but mainly because they are easy.

Jayanthi said...

good one...

FewMinute Wonders said...

Eggplant is delicious. I have not had karma made out of it. Must try it.

Pavani said...

Awesome looking eggplant curry -- love your masala. Will have this version soon.. I'm a eggplant LOVER, so any version is welcome in my kitchen.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

lovely kurma....like your closeup pictures a lot

Srivalli said...

Looks very nice Suma..my dad love vankkai..will like it in all ways prepared!..will try this for him..

Gayathri Kumar said...

Looks so inviting...

Harini R said...

The gravy sure looks creamy. I had once attempted eggplant kurma for a guest but cannot recollect the gravy ingredients. This sounds like a good one.

Cool Lassi(e) said...

This will be perfect for rice or roti!

preeti garg said...

simple lovin it

Aarthi said...

what a yummy korma

Kalyani said...

husband loves this with Pongal. yummy recipe, bookmarked !


Kalyani
Sizzling Tastebuds
Event : Pickles & Preserves Fest + Giveaway
Event : CWS - Oats

Padmajha said...

Jeera rice and eggplant curry looks delectable..

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Nice dish