HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Oats - Masoor Dal Bisibele Huli


The second week of BM#17 starts from today and I am going with "cooking with ready made stuff" theme. I did not have to go beyond my utility room (literally) for inspiration this time. I have a large utility room which doubles up as my second pantry or a mini grocery store as my mother calls it. We (particularly my husband ) know no boundaries when it comes to grocery shopping and keep stocking stuff as if there is going to be an emergency soon. My husband is very well versed with quality and price of the ingredients but goes overboard when it comes to the quantity. Result? My pantry and refrigerator are filled with loads and loads of grains, beans, dairy, veggies, fruits, snacks and so on enough to feed a crowd and to shock any newcomers to our home. :)

At any given time, I will also have a huge carton full of MTR instant mixes of all kinds. Not that I need instant mixes or use them enthusiastically but my husband feels that they will come handy during time crunches. For the first day post, I made use of MTR's bisibelebhath powder to prepare bisibele huli using oats and masoor dal for a quick and healthy lunch.
If you are bored to eat the mushy, bland oatmeal but would like to incorporate it into your diet, here is a spicy oatmeal preparation. This doesn't need even a pressure cooker as masoor dal cooks quickly and this comforting, one pot meal can be put together in around 20 minutes.

Ingredients: (3 - 4 servings)
1/2 cup masoor dal
1/2 cup old fashioned oats (Dry toast oats until they start to change color.)
1 to 1.5 cup chopped veggies (I used carrots, beans, potatoes and peas.)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 - 3 Tbsp MTR bisibele bhath powder or homemade BBB powder
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp thick tamarind juice
For tadka: 2 Tbsp ghee, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 Tbsp cashews and few curry leaves

Method:
* Wash masoor dal in two exchanges of water. Add washed masoor dal, prepared vegetables, turmeric powder and about 5 cups of water to a pan and cook until masoor dal is done. It will take around 15 minutes.
* When masoor dal is cooked, add bisibele bhath powder, salt, tamarind and oats. Continue to simmer until oats are cooked through.
* In the mean while, heat ghee in a small pan and toast the tadka ingredients. When cashews turn golden brown, remove and add to the cooked oats - dal mixture and mix well.
Serve warm with papad / chips / khara boondi.

Check what the other marathoners are cooking during BM#17.

Comments

15 comments:

Srivalli said...

Wow that looks so tempting Suma, very nice one..

Priya Suresh said...

Wat a lovely and healthy twist, tempting BBB.

Chef Mireille said...

you have your very own bomb shelter :)

Sangeetha M said...

Sounds so healthy n wholesome meal!! Loved it!!

Jayanthi said...

LOL, even we do that ..and I have a resolution to clean the entire pantry out (by cooking of course) within this month. Bisibele huli looks awesome.

Usha said...

I have some rolled oats in the pantry. Will try this recipe some time soon after I pick up a bisibele baath powder.

Harini R said...

Good one. It is funny and sometimes frustrating to accommodate the extra groceries in the pantry, right? :)

Akila said...

Healthy n delicious....

Padmajha said...

I do that too when packing stuffs from India. I take ready mixes in case I need them and end up with lots of them!!I too have tried this MTR mix.Oats BBB looks yum...

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Looks so inviting and healthy,sounds so delicious....

The Pumpkin Farm said...

super intelligent twist..loved it

sushma said...

Deliciousss

R said...

looks super healthy and delicious.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Super Healthy BBB!!!!!

veena said...

BBB looks very inviting!!!!!