I was planning to make a pictorial post of marble chocolate cupcakes today as I was expecting sunshine based on weather report. However Sun god had other plans and was not even peeking in our neck of the woods. It has been the same for the past few days. My mood was no different than the grey, gloomy weather outside my window and so decided to go the easy way, throw in a chocolate surprise inside the vanilla cupcakes instead of those marbled ones.
Ingredients: (Yield 6 cupcakes)
1/2 cup yogurt / curd
5-6 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup melted butter / oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup all purpose flour / maida
6 one oz semi sweet baking chocolate squares
1. Combine yogurt, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl and let it sit for about 4 - 5 minutes. It will turn frothy by the time.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 deg C / 390 deg F. Sift the flour. Grease the muffin pan or use paper liners.
3. Add vanilla, butter / oil and flour to the yogurt mixture in step 1 and mix well.
4. Fill 1/4th of each of the muffin cup with the batter, place the chocolate square at the center and again spoon batter over it so that each muffin cup is filled only up to 3/4th thereby leaving space for the cupcakes to raise.
5. Bake for 10 minutes and then lower the temperature to 180 deg C / 350 deg F. Bake for another 15 - 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. (If it comes out with gooey chocolate, it is fine.)
1. Even fatfree yogurt will do but should be at room temperature.
2. I used 1/2 oz chocolate squares and realized that I could have gone with 1 oz and that's what has been listed in the ingredients.
3. The chocolate inside was gooey when eaten warm. If the chocolate inside hardens for any reason, just warm the cupcakes in the microwave before serving.
4. I have used Nita Mehta's Vanilla cake recipe for the cupcakes.
Check what other marathoners of BM#23 are cooking, here.