While planning for last month's 'global food' based blogging marathon, I realized that stuffed dates are a popular treat in the Arab world. They can range from a simple stuffing like coconut or sesame seeds to these party worthy cheese filled ones. The sweetened cheese filling here is flavored with cardamom / rose water / orange blossom water, strongly reflecting the Arabic influences. The stuffed dates are then garnished with nuts. These stuffed dates would be an yummy treat for kids and adults alike.
Soft, pitted Dates
Cream Cheese / Ricotta Cheese / Freshly made Chena
Powdered sugar to taste
Cardamom powder for flavor
Pistachios to decorate
* Make a small lengthwise incision on one side of each date using a small knife and keep them aside. (If using pitted dates, remove the pits.)
* Combine cheese, sugar and cardamom in a small bowl.
* Fill each date with about 1 tsp (or sufficient) cheese mixture.
* Garnish with sliced pistachios or press a pistachio on each date.
1. One tbsp. cheese would fill 3 - 4 dates. Skim cheese can be used.
2. I garnished with some orange zest too and I think that flavor is too overpowering and only a little cardamom would suffice for the flavor. Even rose water / orange blossom water can be substituted for cardamom.
This is going to be my contribution to
1. Blogging Marathon #45
2. Kids' Delight - Potluck Party.