When I picked Kids' Delight theme for this week's blogging marathon, I let my daughter know about it since she is fond of chocolate. I wanted to see whether she would prefer any dish in particular and as predicted, she came up with a ton of ideas, of course with her favorite chocolate chip cookies being top on the list. I already have two chocolate cookie recipes that we are all fond of and so I had to scratch them off the list. Her next request was chocolaty pancakes and I came up with this kid-friendly version, loaded with chocolate chips. My kids loved these pancakes and were happy to gobble them up with chocolate syrup instead of maple syrup. Yup some more chocolate and it turns out that a drizzle of chocolate syrup over chocolaty pancakes isn't overkill as I thought it would be. And of course one need not go with maple / chocolate syrup at all. Any other preferred choice of toppings like fruits, butter, honey etc. should work too.
Ingredients: (Yield 6 pancakes)
1 tbsp. flax meal + 3 tbsp. warm water *
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. cocoa powder
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. melted butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
* Any substitute for one egg
* Whisk flax meal and warm water together and leave aside for about 5 minutes.
* Heat a griddle / non stick pan on medium heat such that a drop of water beads when dropped on it.
* Blend the flax meal mixture and the remaining ingredients mentioned above into a thick batter. Leave the chocolate chips if you prefer sprinkling them on the pancakes instead, while preparing them.
* Pour about 1/4 cup batter of batter onto the pan. If chocolate chips was not added to the batter, then sprinkle some on the top. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface and the bottom side turns golden brown. Flip the pancake with a spatula and cook until it is done on the bottom side too. Transfer onto a serving plate. Repeat the steps with the remaining batter.
* Serve the pancakes warm. Top them with chocolate syrup / maple syrup.
These pancakes are going to be a part of
1. Blogging marathon #61 and check here to find out what other marathoners are cooking today.
2. Kids' Delight event, hosted by Kalyani this month under the theme 'Chocolate' with a #KidsDelightChocoGiveaway.