Khamang kakdi or Kakdichi koshimbir is a flavorful, cucumber based salad from Maharashtra region. It is very easy to put together and can be quickly made. If you are familiar with kosumbari, from the neighboring state of Karnataka then this is a similar one with few interesting add-ons like crushed toasted peanuts and sugar to it. This can be served as a side dish though I prefer to serve this alone to enjoy the flavors more.
Ingredients (yield 2 servings)
1 small cucumber / 1.5 cups finely chopped cucumber
3 to 4 tbsp. toasted peanuts
2 to 3 tbsp. shredded fresh coconut
2 tbsp. minced cilantro
1 finely chopped green chili
1/2 lemon / lime slice
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
1 tsp. ghee / oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds and/or 1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 sprig of curry leaves
A pinch of asafoetida powder
* Trim the edges, peel and chop the cucumber finely. Discard the seeds if mature.
* Coarsely crush the toasted peanuts using mortar and pestle.
* Combine cucumber pieces, crushed peanuts, coconut, cilantro, green chili, salt and sugar if using in a mixing bowl. squeeze the lemon juice to taste and mix.
* Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When the mustard seeds start to sizzle and pop, add curry leaves and asafoetida and turn off the stove.
* Add the seasoning to the cucumber mixture, mix well and serve.
This is going to be a part of Blogging marathon #62 under the theme 'Light Salads' and check here to find out what other marathoners are cooking today.