HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Monday, April 23, 2018

A - Z Indian Street Foods ~ S for Samosa Chole Chaat

Thanks to my husband, samosa chaat has become a family favorite over the years and it is also the most frequently made or ordered chaat at our home. And hence there was no planning or persuasion needed when it came to alphabet 'S'. In fact, this was the first dish I made for the marathon. Whenever my husband gets samosas in surplus, (which tends to happen always, the surplus thing) samosa chaat happens in our home. Gladly, without any complaints I must admit since everyone looks forward to it.
 
Samosa and chole - the two of the signature dishes from the Punjab region come together in samosa chole chaat. Samosa is the flaky, fried triangular pastry with savory potato & pea filling while chole or the chana masala is the spicy chickpea curry which is served with Indian breads. The combo accentuated with spicy, tangy chutneys and topped with crunchy sev and sweet onions form the irresistible samosa chole chaat for spicy food lovers. No surprise, this mouthwatering chaat has now become a popular one ranging from road side stalls to fancy eateries through out the nation. 

Baked samosas can be a guilt-free substitute for fried ones and the link I have provided above is for them. Samosas either fried / baked can be made in advance and refrigerated. They can be warmed in a microwave and used whenever ready to assemble the chaat. The chole also can be prepared in advance and refrigerated. Remember to prepare chole with a lot of gravy. Instead of chole, the dried peas curry called ragada can be substituted in samosa chaat.
Chutneys & sev can be store bought or prepared in advance too. My husband likes adding red garlic chutney as well but I skip it. Also, yogurt is optional here but we love the way it balances the spicy chutneys and chole in the chaat and we don't give it a miss. Most of the stuff can be prepared in advance and so this tempting chaat makes a great menu item when one has company.


Ingredients: (yield 4 servings)
4 medium sized samosas
About 3 cups cooked chole / chana masala (or ragda)
1/4 cup green chutney / cilantro-mint chutney
1/4 cup sweet date-tamarind chutney
2 medium sized onions, finely minced
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1/2 cup sev for topping
1 cup yogurt for topping (optional)

Method:
* Gently break a samosa into 4 or 6 pieces and place it at the middle of a serving bowl or plate. Pour about 2 ladles (or as much as preferred) of chana masala over the samosa pieces.
* Drizzle green chutney and sweet chutney (as much as you prefer) over the chana masala.
* Next sprinkle minced onion and pour yogurt if using.
* Finally top it with sev and garnish with cilantro.
* Assemble three other servings the same way and serve immediately.


BMLogo
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 87

18 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

Now you got me drooling Suma - we love this samosa chat , both samosa and Chile are our favourite ! Combining the two with dahi and chutneys makes it a killer dish , and traditionally garlic chutney might not be used but even I love it . Chats are all about your own take on them .

Srividhya said...

I always prefer samosa chaat than plain samosa. Most of the times I skip the inside but with samosa chaat I don't do that. You are making me hungry and love your take on samosa chaat.

Harini R said...

I am drooling over the pictures, Suma. The scene is the same at our end as well. So if any fried stuff comes home, then it comes in excess. The only argument is 'freeze it if it is left over' :)

Sharmila kingsly said...

I am getting hungry on seeing this samosa chaat.. So tempted for a plate of samosa chaat in the morning itself!!

Kalyani said...

I have just about wrapped my breakfast, suma ! This dish however is tempting me to make this for our evening snack today :) very tempting pics ...not fair that u can’t pass me some :))

Sandhiya said...

Such a tempting and inviting chaat suma. Who doesn't love samosa and this chaat is taking those flavors and taste into next level !!! Total yum!!!

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, this samosa channa chaat is a real torture and you are tempting me with your beautiful clicks. Seriously this is not fair Suma, my mouth is just watering here.

Gayathri Kumar said...

I am so looking forward to your posts daily Suma. You just make me drool with your amazing food snaps. Chat is one food I terribly miss now and you tempt me with these drool worthy photos. This samosa chat looks absolutely fantastic and I feel like grabbing that plate off the screen..

Pavani said...

I love chaat but this samosa chaat is probably my most favorite. I have some lovely memories of having this at road side cart with my sister and cousin in Hyderabad. Your clicks make me want to reach into the monitor for that bowl.

Srivalli said...

Such a fantastic combo these two make! I also enjoy it with chhole and sweet dahi on top, makes such a filling meal for anytime!

Mayuri Patel said...

On occasions I've seen samosa chaat being served on the street but didn't taste it any time as they would drown the samosa in the chole. I like your preparation where everything appears in the right proportion.

Unknown said...

Samosa chaat looks so delicious and when made at home it so better than street food :) You presented them so well and they look absolutely inviting !! I am craving for some samosa chaat now !!

cookingwithsapana said...

Samosa chole is one sinful combo and your platter is literally making me drool. Its bedtime here and now I am craving for this samosa chole chat.

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

OMG! That bowl is just calling my name and I so want to try some. Love the samosa chaat and you have nailed it!

preeti garg said...

I also shared samosa chaat with kadhi.. but love samosa with chole more. Awesome recipe.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Suma, this is such a pain to read this post at midnight, when my mouth is salivating and there is no way i can get a bowl of this yumminess now!!! That looks droolicious, finger licking good! samosa and chana yup a match made in chat heaven!!!

Maggi said...

This was my first try at making samosa chaat and it turned out perfectly! After his first bite, my Indian husband said, “Mmm, exactly like in the restaurants!” I couldn’t ask for a better compliment than that! 😃

Suma Gandlur said...

Maggi, glad to hear that it turned out good.