HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Friday, January 20, 2012

Blackberry Cobbler


When I was looking for a blackberry cobbler recipe, I found an easy one here that had received great reviews from people who had tried it. I went ahead without a second thought and it turned out delicious. The original recipe uses an iron skillet but a 9" pie plate works fine. I wasn't sure whether it was the perfect size and so used an extra 1 cup baking dish for the below quantity but my pie plate would have been enough.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup / 1 stick unsalted butter
4 cups fresh blackberries (I used about half the quantity)
1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
A pinch of salt
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Whipped cream or ice cream, for serving


Method:
* Preheat oven to 350 deg F/ 175 deg C.
* Melt the butter in a large cast-iron skillet or ovenproof baking dish, in the oven, 5 to 7 minutes. (I just melted the butter in the microwave.)
* Meanwhile, put the blackberries in a large bowl and slightly mash them to release their juices. Sprinkle with sugar if blackberries are tart. (The blackberries I used were very sweet and I did not have to use the extra sugar.)
* In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Next add 1 cup sugar, milk, and vanilla extract to the bowl. Mix until well combined and add melted butter to the flour mixture. Stir to combine.
* Pour mixture into the skillet / baking dish and pour blackberries and their juices into the center.
*  Place the skillet / baking dish in the preheated oven and bake until top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the batter comes out clean, about 1 hour. (I baked for 1 hour.)
* Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature with whipped cream or ice cream.


This is my Day 5 entry for blogging marathon #12 . Check out here to know what my fellow marathoners have come up with during this marathon.

This goes to
1. Raven's CEDD event guesthosted by me.


2. Vardhini's Bake Fest, hosted by Pradnya this month.

Comments

18 comments:

Aarthi said...

awesome recipe

Aarthi
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Nisha said...

Interesting. And that too eggless - even more interesting. Gotta bookmark, I'm going on a baking-spree next month onward :D

Srivalli said...

That looks good..did the berries add a sour taste?....they look very fetching though..

The Pumpkin Farm said...

looks delicious, guess I can put to use my blue berries here as well , ha ha, no, i dont have much left now, so will try with something fesh.

kitchen queen said...

Wow! sooooooooooo delicious and lip smacking.

Priya Suresh said...

Super delicious and attractive cobbler..

Unknown said...

Wow looks tempting and yummy

Harini said...

Wow! this sounds so exotic..Maa intlo ilantivi chesthe andari mohalu veligipothai! thanks for the idea!!

Sravs said...

looks yummy !!

Ongoing Event - CC-Chocolate Fest

Anjali Shukla said...

I just loved the name you gave to your recipe, and the clicks are subhan-allah!

Unknown said...

I have bookmarked quite a few cobbler recipes. but I haven't tried any yet. I am bookmarking this. Looks stunning.

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

looks warm & yummy! never seen blackberries here, maybe il try it with strawberries instead

Cool Lassi(e) said...

I so love the cakey look on the cobbler. Love to have my cobbler warm on a cold winter night..

vaishali sabnani said...

would love to make this ...but we dont get black berries here..may b another fruit!!

Quick Picks said...

wow! it looks sooo tempting. nice blog...

Suma Gandlur said...

No Valli,the blackberries I used were very sweet. The final product was also therefore on the sweeter side.

hotpotcooking said...

lovely cobbler. Bookmarked

Fairy Garden said...

lovely tempting cobbler.