HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Easy Breezy Uppudu Pindi



The second session of Blogging Marathon #6 starts from today. There are 20 marathoners participating in this week's marathon and the themes this time are going to be
1. Cooking with one ingredient in seven different ways.
2. Seven days of Regional specials
3. Seven days of Picnic food
4. Seven days of 'Mini bites'
5. One theme a day

I selected "Regional Specials" for this week and chose "Andhra Cuisine" to be my theme. I am starting with a simple and basic sort of dish, "Uppudu Pindi" that can be created using ingredients mundanely found in any Indian pantry. This traditional recipe from the region is served either as breakfast or as a mini meal. One can loosely translate uppudu pindi as rice rava-moong-coconut upma with a basic tadka. A comfortably fulfilling meal that is simple in terms of preparation and can be put together in less time compared to the standard upma since there is no frying of onions / vegetables involved. You don't even have to take out your cutting board and knife if using frozen coconut. 

Ingredients: (For 3 - 4 servings)
1 & 1/4 cups biyyapu ravva (rice rava)
3 Tbsp moongdal (the split, yellow one)
1/4 cup fresh / frozen grated coconut (I used frozen)
2 cups water
Salt to taste
For tadka: 2 - 3 tsp oil, 1 Tbsp uraddal (skinned, split blackgram), 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 5 - 6 red chillies broken into bits


Method:
* Soak moongdal in hot water for about 10 minutes and drain.
* Heat oil in a kadai / pan and add the tadka ingredients. When the dal starts to turn reddish, add water, salt, coconut and moong dal to the pan.
* When the water comes to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to medium low. Add rava, continuously stirring. Cook covered until rava is done and appears fluffy.
* Serve with some avakaya for that authentic touch or with any spicy pickle or powder.


Note:
1. Moongdal is generally cooked prior to the rava addition. The extra water used to cook moongdal tends to make a mushy upma since it is hard to keep count on the water used. I don't prefer to end up with a mushy stuff and so soak the moongdal before adding it to the rava, which results in a fluffier upma.
2. Biyyapu nooka (coarse / cracked rice) can replace biyyapu rava (rice rava / rice ground to semolina consistency) in this recipe. The water quantity may need adjustment when cracked rice is used.

Comments

27 comments:

Unknown said...

When I don't know what to make, I make this, my favorite with a spicy chutney or pickle :)

I am so going to look forward to your andhra specials as I always enjoy them :)

Usha said...

I don't make uppudu pindi but do remember eating as a child. We don't add coconut though.

Priya Suresh said...

Looking forward for our beautiful Andhra specials Suma, uppudu pindi looks fabulous and filling..

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Andhra style upma looks awesome!

harini-jaya said...

Good one. This is a trademark upma from my MIL. Somehow I never got to make this.

Saraswathi Ganeshan said...

Lovely pics, love to have with spicy chutney:))

Shanavi said...

U always make even a small dish , a spectular one.U guessed rt, this is also one among those..Awesome

chef and her kitchen said...

My mom never made this,but at my MILs place it is quite regular n hence got introduced to it..:)
looks yumm n nice

Pavani said...

My mom makes this quite often. I like it with a dollop of ghee and tomato pickle.. Makes for a great filling dinner.

Unknown said...

This one is regular in our weekly breakfast looks perfect suma and looking forward for your other recipes dear..

Hari Chandana P said...

Quick and delicious recipe.. Yummy !!
Indian Cuisine

Padmajha said...

Looks tempting. Looking forward to the other Andra recipes :)

Shylaja said...

Uppudu pindi looks awesome.Looking forward for more Andhra
South Indian Recipes

Vardhini said...

Pictures are stunning .. I make this in a similar way too.

Vardhini
Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

Aarthi said...

yummy

Mélange said...

Expremely tempting clicks.You can't ask for more to kick start the day..Looking forward to all your recipes.

jayasree said...

We make this using cracked rice. Using rice rava makes it easier. Tempting clicks.

Jayashree said...

I used to hate this as a child, but have now realised that this is the easiest and hence, the best thing to make on days when u are tired.

Unknown said...

Wow simple n yummy dish

Santosh Bangar said...

very nice dish eat any time breafast lunch or dinner

Sravs said...

very tempting and wonderful uppudu pindi !!

Raks said...

My MIL once made this,loved it very very much,thanks for the recipe!

Deepthi KR said...

wow this is new to me!!!looks delicious :)

Degchi said...

Uppudu pindi is new to me. Glad to find quick and easy breakfast recipe.

Srivalli said...

I love this simple dish..great way to start I must say!

Ramesh M said...

Thank you for sharing this. The texture of the preparation that i see in the picture is so very similar (same) that it reminds me of the one my mom makes.

Its such a simple yet a very tasty dish.

Unknown said...

Hi, your blog seems to be good.
Recently i have started writing recipes and home remedies. My website
is http://www.allinmykitchen.com/
Please check my website.