HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Mambhaza Kaalan


For the past week, I have been blogging with Regional Specials - Andhra theme during blogging marathon # 6. Check what the other marathoners have been cooking.

So far, I have blogged
1. Uppudu Pindi
2. Panasathonalu
3. Keera - Nuvvula Pachadi
4. Thokkudu Laddu
5. Pesarattu
6. Sojjappalu

On the seventh and final day of BM#6 I have been paired with Jayasree of Kailas Kitchen. That means we have to choose one recipe from each other's blog and cook based on the themes we have selected for weeklong blogging. There were many interesting recipes but I decided to go with mambhaza / mango kaalan for a couple of reasons. Kaalan recipe was in my 'to do list' from a long time and I also wanted to see how a "mango - yogurt" combo works in a spicy dish. Of course I know how the combo does wonders in a lassi.J
I was a little apprehensive initially that the dish may end on a sweet note because of the mango used. After tasting it, I felt very glad for trying this. I have to tell you that I am bowled over by this simple and quick traditional dish from Kerala. Sometimes all we need is a simple basic recipe that has been tried and tested (over generations.)
M is not a friend of coconut and my son is not a fan of yogurt dishes and so I prepared this in small quantity and adjusted the ingredients accordingly. It was spicy enough and was reminding me the majjiga pulusu slightly. (Obviously because of the similiarity in the ingredients used though a mango in kadhi is unthinkable.) I think I prepared it the way it should taste. J It was spicy (enough for me) and not sweet.
BTW, kaalan is a very delicious yogurt - coconut based gravy. Thanks Jayasree, I am going to make this often, for myself. J

Ingredients: (3 servings)
1 cup chopped mango cubes (mango fruit)
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 tsp chili powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
3 - 4 Tbsp grated fresh coconut (Thaw if using frozen coconut.)
2 Green chillies (I used Serrano peppers)
For seasoning / tadka: 2 tsp oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 or 2 red chillies broken into bits, 1/4 tsp methi seeds and few curry leaves

Method:
* Add mango cubes, salt, turmeric powder, chili powder and 1/2 cup water to a microwave safe bowl and cook for 5 minutes. Or cook on stove top. Let cool.
* Grind the coconut, chillies, cooked mango mixture along with the water and yogurt in a blender. I found this method quicker and easier instead of whisking the yogurt, pureeing the mango and grinding coconut - chillies separately. It would take just a few seconds to take care of three steps. The only thing you need to remember is not to add plenty of water to cook mango since the kaalan needs to be thicker. Adjust the salt quantity if needed.
* Bring this mixture to a rolling boil and turn off the stove.
* Heat oil in another small pan and add all the seasoning ingredients. When mustard seeds start to splutter, turn off the stove and add it to the cooked kaalan. Serve it with hot rice.


Note:
1. Ashgourd or plantain can also be added.
2. A small quantity of jaggery can also be added.

Comments

23 comments:

Santosh Bangar said...

i saw yhis dish in others blog but i think ur recipe is easy iy looks like kai .

Unknown said...

wow, that sounds wonderful, new and interesting. Mouth watering pic :)

harini-jaya said...

sounds flavorful..Just as in your case, my husband might stay away from this but he is open to new flavors so I might give it a shot!!

Vardhini said...

My hubby doesn't like yogurt too .. when I make mor kuzhambu it is only for the kids and me :). Looks yummy Suma.

Vardhini
Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

Pavani said...

Wow. Very interesting savory dish with Mango. We are also a little skeptical about using sweet ingredients in savory dishes. May be I'll take your word and try this for myself. (Maa intlo mee intlo vunna equationki reverse vundhi--husband not a fan of yogurt, son not a fan of mangoes/ coconut).

Mélange said...

Who can resist that Mambazha Kalan ? I simply adore them.Came out well for you.

jayasree said...

Looking suuuper delicious. You have got it perfect. Glad you liked it, Suma.

Aarthi said...

lovely colour

Unknown said...

Looks so flavourful n yummy

Srivalli said...

I once tasted this during our blogger meet, when another blogger made it for the potluck. It was delicious. Though on our own, I am sure I will hesitate to make it knowing how my husband can't eat anything sweet with rice..pictures are so lovely Suma..

Priya Suresh said...

Omg, mambazha kaalan tempts me a lot, extremely inviting and delicous..

SinFoodie said...

This looks really nice.

Jayashree said...

Your kaalan looks perfect.

Sravs said...

mambhaza kaalan looks so inviting and perfectly done !!

Prema said...

Kaalan sounds yum...very interesting recipe...

Padmajha said...

Very tempting. Delicious clicks...

Shanavi said...

loove it, never made anything savory with mangoes..looks so yum

swapna said...

Colorful and flavorful combo....

Unknown said...

Fantastic color and mouthwatering recipe wonderful choice suma.

Degchi said...

Lovely recipe and the nice clicks.

evidenta contabila said...

Oh my God how good it looks that and i`m sure that it tastes delicious. It is a great recipe and not very difficult, so i think that i will give it a try. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Unknown said...

Drooling over those fantastic and tempting pictures! Super yummy, Suma :)

Saraswathi Ganeshan said...

New and wonderful recipes with mangoes. drooling here:)

SIGNATURE RECIPES & A GIVEAWAY till july 31st 2011