HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Broccoli Cheese Soup


Srivalli's blogging marathon - 9th edition starts from today. I chose to go with "Soups / Salads" theme this week though "Festive Special" and "Regional Special" themes were equally tempting. I did not want to pack any extra calories either in the guise of a holiday season or blogging. :)
My first post in the series is going to be this broccoli - cheese soup, a family favorite of ours and hopefully it may be yours too if you give it a try. :) A hot bowl of a creamy, rich, flavorful soup seems like a perfect companion on cold days like these.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp oil / butter (I usually go with olive / canola oil.)
1 garlic clove finely minced
1/2 cup finely minced white onion
2 Tbsp wheat flour
1 cup broccoli florets chopped
1/2 cup peeled & finely minced carrot
3 cups water
Grated cheddar cheese as preferred (I used 2 Kraft cheddar cheese singles as I did not have grated cheese on the day I prepared soup.)
Salt to taste


Method:
Heat oil in a pan and add garlic. Fry until golden brown and add onion. Saute until translucent and then add wheat flour. Fry it for a minute on low flame and then add broccoli, carrot and water to the pan. Stir well so that no lumps are formed. Continue to cook on medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes. Add cheese and salt; cook until the cheese melts. Serve hot.


This goes to
1. "Global Food Festival" by Kalyani
2. "Soups & Salads Mela" by Srivalli.

Comments

21 comments:

Sravs said...

so creamy and nice, healthy soup !!

Ongoing Event - Festive Food

veena said...

Soup looks so inviting Suma.....:-)

Raji said...

Would love to have this soup in winters...absolutely filling and packed with deliciousness.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Delicious!!!! For the weather here today, would definitely love a bowl of this!!

Aruna Manikandan said...

Healthy delicious soup :)

Prema said...

I love the cheesy flavoured soups,luks so tempting and yummy...Healthy too.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

Hey Suma, once I was done with appreaciating your soup bowls I moved on to read the recipe which is equally beautiful(no other word).
Loved it

Unknown said...

Wow creamy and yummy soup

Srivalli said...

What an inviting picture of bowls suma..I am so glad you opted for this, I hardly have much of soups and salads on the index..do send this for the mela..:)

A Spoonful of Yumm said...

looks yummy ! love the addition of cheese in it :)

chef and her kitchen said...

nice n colorful soup..looks yumm

Priya Suresh said...

OMg, wat a comforting and droolworthy soup..

Vanamala Hebbar said...

healthy soup suma...nice recipe

Harini said...

Very good idea to sneak in broccoli :) Looks like you have pureed broccoli, Have you not?

Suma Gandlur said...

Harini,
Fortunately, I don't have to sneak in broccoli at my home. We buy it especially for the soup.
And I didn't puree it. If I had, the soup would have been green.

hotpotcooking said...

wow looks very yum; will try soon
http://hotpotmeal.blogspot.com

Mélange said...

A pure bowl of goodness there Suma..Nice ,refreshing and healthy.

Cool Lassi(e) said...

Love this creamy looking soup! My son would love it! So would I!

Unknown said...

love the flavors ...looks to good and yummy! loving it!

Julie said...

lovely flavorful n creamy soup..
First time to your space and glad to follow you..
Do drop by my space too
Erivum Puliyum

Aishu said...

Hi! Tred this soup last night and came out really well. A hearty meal indeed thank you :)