HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Eggless Vanilla Cake

  
Whenever my daughter comes to shopping with me, she extracts a promise that we are going to pay a visit to the baking aisle. She is particularly fascinated by the colorful toppings and frostings there and we end up buying something from that aisle. I am not equipped with any cake decorating skills and so just apply the frosting with the back of a spatula or a steel knife over the cake and sprinkle toppings.  
Coming to cakes, I prefer eggless ones and Nita Mehta' s vanilla cake is a favorite of mine. Not a guilt laden one if frosting is left out. I have tried the recipe a few times before and it had yielded me fabulous results. The recipe uses yogurt / curds and gives a fluffy textured moist cake. The basic recipe can be used to build layered cake or making cupcakes for birthdays or kid centric parties. Frosting or just sticking to the basic stuff , either way the cake tastes wonderful. Or try the chocolate surprise as I have done here. I forgot to take the picture of a sliced cake and will update when I try the cake next time. For the moment, check the below picture for the texture of this cake.


Ingredients:
1.5 cup flour
1/2 cup oil / butter 
1 cup yogurt (Fat free will do and should be at room temperature.)
1 & 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar (2 Tbsp can be reduced if frosting is used.)
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:
1. Take a bowl that holds at least double the volume than mentioned. Combine yogurt, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in the bowl and let it sit for about 3 -4 minutes. It will turn frothy by the time.

2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 deg C / 390 deg F. Sift the flour. Grease the cake pan and melt the butter if using.


3. Add vanilla, butter / oil and flour to the yogurt mixture in step 1 and mix well.


4. Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 10 minutes and then lower the temperature to 180 deg C / 350 deg F.

5. Bake for another 30 - 35  minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. 
Allow the cake to cool, invert and remove the cake. Apply frosting if preferred.


Check what other marathoners are cooking during this month long marathon.

Comments

12 comments:

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Lovely texture of the cake and i like the cup cakes with sneaked in chocolates :)

vaishali sabnani said...

Suma that sure is a beauty..looks very capturing...like the sprinklers.

Srivalli said...

Suma, if it wasn't yourself claiming no talent for decorating on a cake, I would never say that..your frosting and decoration looks so good. The swirl effect looks stunning and the sparkling on top is so pretty!..I love the texture of the cake..

Priya Suresh said...

Lovely frosting, even my daughter goes crazy for the spinkles, i have a small collection at home..Beautifuly spongy cake.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

this one is for keeps, no matter how many reciupes i have for cakes, but this is for sure tempting one, beautifully decorated

hotpotcooking said...

looks delicious

Pavani said...

I was actually planning to make this cake tomorrow. I found the recipe at Sharmi's site. Looks quite simple to make, I have to see how mine turns out tomorrow.

Rajani S said...

I always love the swirl pattern in cakes. Been a while since I frosted a cake...you are tempting me to try one :)

Nice recipe, I haven't baked cake this way before.

Harini R said...

Lovely cake and the texture looks very tempting!
My little one is crazy about the variety of sprinkles and the older one picks up the frosting cans but I never decorate the cake, instead let the kids handle that part :)

Unknown said...

I love the way you frosted this one. Nice swirls.

Unknown said...

wow the cake is looking super good... i can eat most cakes withouot the frosting... and this one looks so perfect..
Sowmya
Event - Celebrate - Summer
Event - Bake Fest

Manju said...

Cake looks soft and fluffy. Love your icing part.