I had planned early on that I would bake at least one loaf of bread for this marathon. I wanted it to be a little on the sweet side, moist and yummy instead of a plain sandwich loaf and this zucchini - carrot bread adapted from here perfectly fit the bill. This quick bread would be a great addition to any breakfast / brunch menu. I converted the original recipe into an eggless version, replaced a portion of plain flour with wheat flour and used equal quantities of carrot and zucchini. This bread is a great way to sneak in vegetables for picky eaters.
1/2 cup warm milk (I used fat-free milk.)
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 medium sized zucchini (about 1 cup gated)
1 large sized carrot (about 1 cup grated)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (or substitute all purpose flour)
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup raisins
* Stir together milk and vinegar in a bowl and keep aside.
* Peel and grate carrot. Peel and grate zucchini and squeeze out excess liquid.
* Preheat the oven to 350 deg F. Grease a 8"x3" pan. (I used 9
* Combine flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking salt and salt in a mixing bowl.
* In another bowl, whisk the milk-vinegar mixture, oil and vanilla. Next add brown sugar and mix until smooth. Gently stir in grated zucchini and carrot.
* Now add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well. Add the raisins finally and stir gently to combine.
* Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for about 45 - 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. (Mine was done in about 45 minutes.)