HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Thursday Tea Time ~ Double-Decker Nutella Filled Scones

People who follow my blog regularly might have noticed that I have been posting baked recipes this month as part of the 'Fire up your Oven' blogging marathon. Today marks the last day of this exciting event and I have some yummy double decker Nutella scones on this day. This marathon has been a fun filled journey though I wasn't as organized as some of my fellow marathoners had been and I was yet to bake more than half of the dishes when this event started. There were some unexpected mishaps to test my patience and I had to re-think and re-plan some of the dishes but still I would call the experience exciting. And you are going to see the round up of my marathon dishes here shortly.
I have already posted lemony scones in this event and so, wasn't planning to post any more scones. However I changed my plan when I came across these double decker scones, which looked like sandwiches and I am glad that I tried them. What I found interesting about these scones is that the chilled dough disc is cut into 2 halves along the circumference and the filling is sandwiched between those 2 discs, baked and cut in to wedges, resulting in a sandwich scone. They had a buttery, bread like texture and were good at room temperature even the next day.
Ingredients:
1 egg substitute ( I used flax egg.)
1 cup + 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
3 tbsp. frozen and grated butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2.5 to 3 tbsp. milk
1 tbsp. coarse sugar for sprinkling on top (Optional & I didn't use any.)
1/2 to 3/4 cup prepared filling - Jam, nut butter, Sweetened cream cheese or any preferred filling (I used Nutella.)

Method:
* If using flax egg, combine 1 tbsp. flax meal and 3 tbsp. warm water in a bowl and keep aside for five minutes.
* Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
* Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the grated butter and work into the dry ingredients until the mixture is unevenly crumbly, using your fingers, pastry blender or an electric mixer.
* Stir together flax egg, milk and vanilla and add to the dry ingredients. Stir gently just until combined.
* Shape the dough into 1 inch thick disc, about 6 inches in diameter. Place the disc on the prepared baking sheet and put it in the freezer for 30 minutes. There is no need to cover the disc.
(I thought cutting the disc along the circumference (in the later step) would be hard and instead shaped two 1/2 inch thick discs of about 6 inch diameter. If following this method, try to keep both the discs in the same size.)
* When 20 minutes of chilling time has passed, preheat the oven to 375 deg F.
* Divide the chilled disc in half around it's circumference using a sharp knife. (I skipped this step as I had already divided the discs into two. )  
* Spread the bottom half with the filling leaving along the edges and then place the other half of the dough on top. Press it down gently. Go generous with the filling and use as much as mentioned in the recipe. (Nutella didn't ooze out during baking in my case.)

* Place the round on the prepared baking sheet and brush it with milk. Sprinkle with coarse sugar if desired.
* Slice the disc into 6 triangular wedges or you can skip the step and slice them after baking.
 
* Bake it for about 28 minutes or until it is golden brown and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
* Remove the scones from oven and place them on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes. Slice them into wedges and serve warm. 
* They can be frozen for longer storage. They were finished the next day I baked them and they stayed good at room temperature.

15 comments:

Usha said...

Sandwich scones are new to me & are tempting with that Nutella filling. It was fun doing the marathon with you & lived all your bakes.

Varada's Kitchen said...

The double decker is a very interesting recipe. The Nutella filling sounds yummy. Nice way to end the month.

Kalyani said...

These are a treat for Nutella lovers.. I looked forward to all ur bakes suma, especially the savoury bakes .. Great doing the marathon with you :)

Priya Suresh said...

I think this double decker scones will definitely please my kids, interesting scones definitely.

Sneha's Recipe said...

Yummy and tempting scones.

vaishali sabnani said...

Fantastic scones and you have done a awesome job inspite of not being prepared. Super work Suma.

Unknown said...

Delicious scones. They are looking awesome

Srivalli said...

Well I was so curious that I had already checked your recap..:)..and came back to check this today..this is surely a kids delight to bake..I have enjoyed all your week day themes..thats one awesome idea..Great job Suma..

Harini R said...

That is an awesome double decker scone, Suma. Loved the weekly theme you followed. Yet more bookmarks from this series!

Rajani S said...

Its been great bakes all month long and its wonderful to end it with God's gift to mankind : Nutella :-)! The scones look fantastic.

Srividhya said...

Loved the name.. double decker. Great snacks for tea time

Pavani said...

Delicious looking double decker scones. I'm definitely try these out soon.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Double decker scones sounds interesting with the nutella filling..nice way to end this series.

Saraswathi Ganeshan said...

Love this sandwich scones!! Simply awesome..

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

What a lovely way to make the scones! Love the idea of filling a layer in between :)