Usually I look forward to new baking ideas when I end up with overly ripened bananas. Finishing the last few bananas becomes a daunting task each time I buy them. Especially when the others at home straight off refuse to eat the final ones. However I have no problem in selling them when masked in the form of baking.This time around, I got to make banana muffins that are healthier and eggless. The staple ingredients of a muffin recipe are replaced here by more healthier and wholesome substitutes. Whole wheat flour and oats replace the flour while the white sugar is replaced by honey / maple syrup. Bananas can easily substitute for the egg in the recipe while healthy olive oil would be a great alternative for the butter.
However the resulting muffins were not dense as I thought they would be. They were soft and fluffy. They make a great breakfast / brunch idea or a snack.
Recipe idea: Here
Ingredients: (Yield 8 medium sized muffins)
3 tbsp. olive oil / coconut oil
1/4 cup honey / maple syrup
2 tbsp. milk of choice
2 large bananas / 1 cup mashed banana
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
2 tbsp.old fashioned oats + plus more for sprinkling on top
3 tbsp. nuts / dried fruits / chocolate chips (I used walnuts and raisins.)
1 tsp. raw sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
* Preheat the oven to 325 deg F. Grease a muffin tin or line the muffin cups.
* In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey / maple syrup with a whisk. Mix in the mashed bananas and milk, followed by baking soda, vanilla extract, salt and cinnamon.
* Add wheat flour and oats to the bowl and mix until combined.
* Fold in the nuts / the other add-ons of your preference.
* Divide the batter into muffin cups equally, filling up to 2/3rds of each cup. Sprinkle the tops of muffins with oats, followed by a light sprinkling of sugar.
* Bake muffins for 23 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
* Allow them to cool on a cooling rack before loosening from the muffin tin.
This is going to be a part of Blogging marathon #64 under the theme 'Wheat based Dishes' and check here to find out what other marathoners are cooking today.