HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Beetroot Sambhar

Everyone may have umpteen number of favorite vegetables to pair with sambhar, but probably not beets. Beets and sambhar - the combination is somewhat out of the norm. A red sambhar? That's what I thought when I first encountered it. Though very unusual, my MIL prepares beetroot sambhar, which I must admit is delectable. Beetroot generously lends it's color to the dish and hence we end up with a red -maroonish hued sambhar. Serve this beet sambhar with rice and a dash of ghee, for an irresistable dish.

Ingredients:
Toor dal - 1 cup
Beetroot, peeled and chopped into cubes - 1 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Chili powder - 2 tsp
Sambhar powder - 1 tsp, heaped
Jaggery powdered - 1 Tbsp (optional)
Tamarind juice - 1/4 cup (tamarind soaked in water and juice extracted)
Salt

For tadka:
Oil - 1 or 2 tsp
Mustard and cumin seeds - 1 tsp each
A few pinches of asafoetida and a few curry leaves

Cooking:
Cook dal, beetroot and turmeric powder with sufficient water in a pressure cooker till you hear two or three whistles. (Alternatively, you can cook them in a sauce pan until the dal reaches fall apart stage). Turn off the stove and wait till all the valve pressure is gone. Then remove the lid and add tamarind, chili and sambhar powders, salt and jaggery. Add needed (around 2 cups) water for the dal to reach sambhar consistency and adjust the spices, if required. Turn on the stove and then let the sambhar come to a rolling boil and leave it for a couple of minutes more. Turn off the stove.
Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and curry leaves to it. When mustard seeds start to pop, turn off the stove and add this tadka mixture to the sambhar and mix well.
Serve hot with rice and a tsp of ghee or rotis.

Post a Comment

34 comments:

Mandira said...

it is truly unique, can't wait to try this recipe. Thanks Suma

Coffee said...

Thats one gorgeous looking sambhar Suma! Beautiful colour!!

Suganya said...

Suma, the way you describe it, the colour; I will try this next time I buy beetroot.

A, mama of twins said...

Hi Suma
First time here! Lovely blog. I made a beetroot rasam a few weeks ago and I agree Beetroot in sambhar/rasam is very yummy.

Hope to come back often!
Archana

Unknown said...

Sambar with Beetroot... a unique idea!!! Love the color!!!

sra said...

Suma, an aunt of mine made this once and everybody found the colour so new and funny - it was delicious!

Latha Narasimhan said...

Hi suma, Came here from bharathy's blog. For me too beetroot is ok for sambhar . I have used beetroot for avial when we lived in Hubli.
BTW I have explained in detail for storing Dosa and Idli batter in the fridge in my blog.You can have a look.

Saju said...

wow! I can't wait to try this, it looks absolutley delicious

Sia said...

beautiful colour of beetroot... we make sambar with coconut base but dont remeber cooking it with dal. i got to try it. thanks for the recipe suma:)

Viji said...

Suma, what a color? lovely. Viji

Aruna said...

Suma, first time seeing a beet sambhar....looks good, would love to try it. :-)

themistressofspices.wordpress.com

FH said...

Summaaaa!!!! I made Beet sambhar too and took photos and is in the draft!!Beet rasam is in my post already:D
Looks yum. I love the color and the taste of beets in rasam or Sambhar.

Richa said...

yup, that's a first for me, beet in sambar :) would like to give it a try!

Seema Bhat said...

Suma, You are so true buddy. Beet sambar with hot white rice and ghee does taste ultimate. I love it a lot. Beautiful picture.

Anonymous said...

Beet in Sambhar would be a very healthy and colourful option. Looks simply great

--sandeepa

Anonymous said...

The picture is looking so great and the sambar too.

bee said...

suma, this is the first ever sambar that i actually feel like eating. it looks so gorgeous.

TBC said...

Beautiful or should I say beetiful!
I just loved the first pic. Have never added beets in sambar before. Should try that the next time.

Sharmi said...

thats new, nice and vibrant looking sambar. must be tasting a lil sweet because of the beet. lovely color.

Anonymous said...

wow......look at the colour it's pink i should have tasted yummy.

Jyothi said...

Never heard and tried beetroot in sambar. Looks colorful and very healthy too. Great idea Suma. Thanks for sharing.

Laavanya said...

There's a combination I never would've thought of - such a pretty sambar.

Anonymous said...

BeetRoot in sambhar??? Never heard of it. Great pictures. Very nice blog, Suma!!! Thanks for sharing.

archana said...

The colour is looking really pretty. This is the first time I have seen beetroot sambhar :)

TBC said...

Suma, Happy Independence Day!
Hop on over to my blog for a minute & check out the award waiting for ya! :-)

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Looks awesome!

I've been wanting to try this beetroot sambar after seeing it on the blogs!

Thanks for the recipe.

Kanchana

Dee said...

lovely looking sambhar suma. its simply superb to look at. a must try for me!!

Suma Gandlur said...

Mandira,
Thanks. Try and let me know.:)

Coffee, Suganya,
Thanks

Archana,
Thanks. Welcome to my blog. Now this beetroot rasam is new to me. I need to try that.

Cinnamon,
Thanks

Sra,
It is so unusual to see a red sambhar in your plate. Isn't it?

Suma Gandlur said...

Latha,
Thanks for visiting. I was not able to access your blog.

Saju,
Try and I am sure you are going to like it.

Sia,
Now beet and coconut sambhar is new to me. Blog about it.

Thanks Viji & Aruna.

Asha,
Never heard about beet rasam. Have to go thru your blog for the recipe.

Richa & Seema,
Thanks.

Sandeepa,
Yes. It is colorful and healthy.

Suma Gandlur said...

Hima,
Thanks.

Bee,
Funny that you don't like sambhar being a south Indian.Glad you are feeling like eating it.

TBC,
Initially the sambhar was red. After a few minutes, it turned into that color of the first picture.

Sharmi,
Actually beet sambhar woud not taste that sweet. I therefore added some jaggery to get the sweetness.

Ramya,
Yup. It is delicious.

Jyothi, Lavanya, Archana
An unusual idea. Right?
I tasted it first time when my MIL prepared it.

Anonymous. Thank you.

Kanchana & Dee,
thank you.

Suma Gandlur said...

TBC,
You made my day girl. Thank you very much for the award.
Happy Independence day to you.

Swaruchy said...

Looking very yummy and heavenly dear :-) Good one :-)

Sreelu said...

Wow Suma one Red looking sambar,never heard of beet sambar.I add sweet potatoes sometimes which give their sweetness ,do beet samabar also get very sweet

Anonymous said...

Suma, I made this sambhar just now and its simply superb. Thanks for the recipe!!