HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Aloo Chole


I hardly ever prepare in advance when I am doing theme based cooking as this marathon for instance. Most of the cooking happens on the day I post unless it is a cloudy day. This time however I had the fudge post ready in my drafts. Based on that, I went with the choice of alphabets for this week's marathon and ended up cooking another dish in advance too, only not to use it at the last moment. See, advanced planning never works for me. :) Yesterday, I had prepared aloo chole and thought of using that instead of the initially planned one. And so, this delicious, protein packed Aloo Chole is for the letter "A". I kept the dish to the basic version as I was not in the mood for an overtly spiced one.

Ingredients: (4 servings)
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans / Kabuli chana
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp grated ginger
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
2 onions, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked
1 tsp chole masala
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp chili powder or as needed
1 Tbsp kasoori methi
Cilantro to garnish

Method:

* Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they start to turn brown, add ginger, onion and turmeric powder. Stir and cook until the onion turns translucent. Next add the tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
*Take out a small portion of the cooked beans and grind it adding a small amount of water.
* Now add this ground paste, the rest of the cooked garbanzo beans, potato, salt, chili powder and chole masala to the onion - tomato sauce. Add some water if needed. You can use the water used to cook the beans. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add kasoori methi, stir once and let it simmer for a few minutes, for the flavors to mingle.
* Garnish with cilantro and serve with roti / bhature / naans.


Check here to know what other marathoners of BM#25 are cooking.

Comments

16 comments:

Raksha said...

Aloo chole looks delicious, specially with kasuri methi.

- Raksha
Raksha's Kitchen

Padmajha said...

Yummy platter Suma.
I used to plan my posts ahead but this month I am cooking and posting the same day and I find it too stressful...

Vimitha Durai said...

Nice one for chapathis or baturas. Looks yum.

Unknown said...

Same here even I don't plan my recipes before they will change by the time I cook and post. Aloo chole looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Нey very inteгesting blоg!

Tаκe a look аt my site - V2 Cigs Reviews

Manju said...

Nice one. I usually try gravy based for roti, but this is quick one. Same here this month even I was lie you. For next month trying advance let see.

rajani said...

I usually plan my posts so that there is no running around at the last minute. Aloo chole looks absoltely delicious!

Harini R said...

It is my older one's fav. But I personally tend to avoid adding Aloo to Chana as it tends to upset my stomach :)

Srivalli said...

Interestingly I have never prepared this combo in dry form..Coming to the planned thing, I agree cooking the previous day or same day does give it's extra zing, all my posts this edition have been that way. However at times it gets very hectic..guess it also depends what one wants to make right!:)..

Chef Mireille said...

wow - I would drive myself nuts waiting til the day of to cook all the dishes. every 1 has their own way that works best for them I guess.

lubnakarim06 said...

Love this combo...never tried dry version of it....

www.mahaslovelyhome.com said...

wow..delicious and tempting .

Pavani said...

Simple & delicious aloo-chole.. I used to cook & blog the same day before, but now I have most of them done at least 1-2 days ahead of time.

preeti garg said...

Wow.. Look amazing.. love this with puri always

Priya Suresh said...

I Usually plan and cook atleast before 5days, for me cooking and posting on the same day sounds bit hectic. Aloo chole looks fabulous,simply inviting and an excellent pair for rotis.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Flavorful aloo chole,perfect with rotis...looks so delicious..