HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Thursday, September 19, 2013

P ~ Pongal Instant Mix

 Event: Blogging marathon
Theme: Free choice

I got overzealous with the letter "P" and without knowing had prepared in advance, 3 regional dishes and a baked dish but as soon as I saw next month BM's theme, I have to put them in reserve. That's what I do when I have choices and that's why I don't like to keep posts in drafts. :) At the last moment, I chose to go with this instant mix for pongal. In one of themes chosen for this marathon, we had the option of posting two recipes of our choice and so I had a free reign. 

In one of the earlier marathons we had one of the themes as instant food mixes, the ones like MTR brand is famous for - rava idli ix, dosa mix and so on. I had picked that theme and loved doing it. However I never thought of preparing a mix for pongal until my sister in law gave me the idea recently. When we visited north India, she insisted us to carry a rice cooker and some mixes like this to save time during our sight seeing and also to beat the monotony of roti - subzis. (Don't roll your eyes. :) If a south Indian is fed rotis for days, he starts craving for rice.) 

The tip really came handy and we loved the pongal with a spicy mango pickle. My husband was telling me to start preparing pongal with that dry consistency at home too. At home I leisurely cook almost a mushy pongal in a pot and serve with chutney and sambhar. That of course tastes heavenly but this version was also good without loads of ghee, tadka or the side dishes.
This comes handy during trips as I mentioned and also to bachelors or to pass it on as gifts. I know that for people who know how to prepare pongal, this is a breeze and a recipe is not even required. However for the needy, here I go.


1. Use rice: skinned moongdal in 2:1 ratio. 
2. If you prefer, dry roast the moong dal but this step is entirely optional. Lightly toast it until it starts to change color but don't burn it.
3. Here I used 1 cup sona masuri rice, 1/2 cup moong dal, 1 tsp cumin seeds and 1 Tbsp pepper corns. Pepper can be used whole or slightly crushed. I use whole and crushed pepper in equal quantities since I prefer the heat of pepper. Salt can be mixed too but usually I add it at the end of cooking since it adheres the dal cooking process sometimes. For this quantity go with about 1.5 tsp salt. Toasted or salted cashews can be added as well. Add everything to a zipper bag and seal it until ready to use.
4. If using a pressure cooker, pongal mix : water ratio would be 1:2 for a dry consistency. If you prefer your pongal to be mushy, add water more. If you are using a rice cooker, the water quantity may need to be increased. Check and add as needed. Add salt (if not added earlier) and ghee at the end and mix well. If at home, toast finely minced ginger, cumin seeds and curry leaves in ghee and combine at the end.


Logo courtesy : Preeti   
 
Comments 

12 comments:

Chef Mireille said...

what a great idea. Just add water andd meal is ready

Sandhya Karandikar said...

Very useful and handy recipe.

Lifewithspices said...

wow too good one..

Priya Suresh said...

Very handy pongal mix, prefect for anytime.

Srivalli said...

This is such a wonderful post Suma..when we had that instant mixes the last time I had enjoyed your series..and yes bring them on if you have more..:)

Padmajha said...

Very handy Mix Suma!

sharada said...

really useful & handy recipe when you are in a hurry.Love your blog dear:)

Rajani S said...

More ready mixes like this please...I am in Trivandrum and my husband is in Chennai. These kind of foods will make life really easy for him...

Harini R said...

This is what I do when we go on long trips! Easy one pot, no mess meal!

veena said...

Loved all your instant mixes, the earlier ones too...

vaishali sabnani said...

wow..yes i need this recipe..i am making some instant stuff for my daughter and this one is really interesting.thanks yaar!

Pavani said...

This is such a time saver and like you said great on the go meal.