HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Thursday, May 18, 2017

Cornmeal Cookies (Ivory Coast)

Initially I had planned to participate in the 'baking' themed April mega marathon and I had diligently prepared the list. I even baked some when it dawned on me that I was the one who was going to end up eating all those goodies if I made it through the list. The kid who supposedly was to devour them and share the calories with me was away from the home and the kid who was at home wouldn't look at the sweet stuff unless it is laden with chocolate. And so, I finally gave up the idea of baking marathon though I ended up baking a few dishes for the first time. 

These simple, sweet cornmeal cookies from Ivory Coast was one of them and they would be a great pick for a picnic menu. I actually tried these cookie two times, halving the recipe both times. The first time, I tried to shape the cookies by patting the dough into perfect circles and they spread like crazy while baking though they held the shape. The second time, I dropped dough by spoonful and they were chubby (as shown in the pictures) while the first batch ones were thinner and bigger. These crispy, crunchy cookies fall under the easier to prepare variety cookies.
 
Source: Here

Ingredients: (Yield 50)
1 & 1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
5 to 6 tbsp. butter
1/2 cup + 2tbsp. sugar
1 flax egg or 1 egg substitute
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Method:
* Mix 1 tbsp. flax meal and 3 tbsp. warm water in a small bowl and keep aside for five minutes.
* Preheat the oven to 350 degree F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper / aluminum foil and keep aside.
* Combine flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
* Beat butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg substitute and vanilla and beat again. Slowly add the dry ingredients from the above step and mix well.
* Drop dough in spoonful onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until they are done.
 bmlogo
This goes to Blogging marathon #76, under the theme 'Picnic Recipes'. Check out the page to read what other marathoners are cooking.

Comments




9 comments:

Gayathri Kumar said...

It really takes a few tries to guess how a cookie dough behaves. Your second version looks so good. Adding corn meal must add some texture to the cookies, I guess!

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

I have a box full of cornmeal hidden inside my pantry, will try this cookies with them. I like this chubby ones 😄

Rafeeda AR said...

Whether flat and thin, or thick and chubby, cookies are cookies! Simple yet looks like a nice treat...

vaishali sabnani said...

The cookies look lovely ! I have never tried ones with cornmeal .
Wish you had participated for the Mega marathon , but I understand what you mean .

Sandhiya said...

I love cornmeal cookies, it gives wonderful crunchiness to the cookies. Cookies looks delicious.

Priya Suresh said...

Scrumptious cookies they are. If i bake these cookies i wont keep myself away from it.

Pavani said...

Delicious looking cornmeal cookies. I don't think cookies with cornmeal before. Will have to try these.

Srivalli said...

Oh sad that you missed out on the baking theme, though I understand your reasons..glad this gets shared somehow..:0)..those cookies look so good .

Sharmila kingsly said...

Perfect i have some corn meal.. Would def try this out!!