HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Saturday, April 10, 2021

Bhatt ki Dal

Bhatt ki dal is an iconic dish and a traditional recipe of the Kumaon region in Uttarakhand. This dal is prepared using bhatt aka locally grown, organic black soybeans though I have used the regular ones here. It is a typical winter dish which provides enough energy to suit the cold, hilly terrain. I had prepared this simple yet nutrition packed dal as a part of my Uttarakhand Thali a few months ago. The soy beans are soaked, ground and cooked along with spices which makes it as easy and quick dish. 
Recipe source: Here
Ingredients:
1/2 cup black soy beans ( I used the yellow one.)
1 to 2 tbsp. ghee / oil
1 tsp. cumin seeds
2 pinches of asafoetida
1 green chili
1/2 tsp. finely chopped ginger
1/4 tsp. chopped garlic (I didn't add any.)
1 onion, finely minced
Chili powder to taste
1 tsp. coriander powder
1/8 tsp. turmeric powder
1/2 tsp. garam masala powder3
2 tbsp. wheat flour
Salt to taste

Directions:
*
Soak beans overnight in water and drain. 
* Grind them to a fine paste adding a little water if needed.
 
* Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida. When cumin starts to brown, add ginger, garlic, green chili and onion. 

* Sauté until onion is cooked. Next add coriander powder, turmeric, garam masala, salt, chili powder and sauté for few seconds. Add wheat flour and cook until it starts to brown.
* Pour in the ground paste and about a cup or more of water to the pan.
* Mix well and simmer for about 15 minutes until it thickens.

* Serve warm with rotis.

5 comments:

Harini R said...

This dal sounds so unique. I have never cooked soy beans in this way. I am sure this is a keeper of a recipe.

rajani said...

Grinding beans in a dal recipe is different than usual preparation style! I am surprised that you took stepwise pictures for the individual dishes of a thali!!

Radha said...

I read about this dal, but never tried. This dal looks amazing. I am soaking the dal today and making it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Oh wow, thats a unique dal suma! I was expecting dal, pressure cooked and tadka, this is amazing, just like a mash, but with spices! Definitely trying this!!

Narmadha said...

Bhat dal looks so delicious. The method of preparation is so different from the usual dals we prepare. Bookmarking to try soon