HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Sunday, April 25, 2021

Doddapatre Thambuli / Thambli

Thambli / Thambuli is a age old dish from the south Indian state of Karnataka which is usually prepared as a coolant in summer months. Yogurt is the base for any thambli dish and there are many varieties of thambli prepared using brahmi leaves, spinach leaves, curry leaves and so on. Menthe thambuli is one among the variety. A herb / vegetable / spice is ground along with coconut and spices and is added to yogurt and is served as a first course of the meal.

Today's star of the dish is doddapatre / karpooravalli / ajwain plant leaves that is known for it's medicinal properties. The leaves have been used as a home remedy for cold / cough and minor stomach ailments in India, for ages. My mother always has a pot of this herb at her home and this used to be her quick cold remedy for my son when he was an infant which used to work like a charm. 

My sister in law is the one who prepared this during my last visit to India and I just took some pictures during the process. This thambli recipe is a quick and fuss-free one and a beginner recipe. The leaves have a strong and distinct aroma which makes this thambli a delicious side dish to steamed rice with a drizzle of ghee.

Ingredients for thambli:
1 tsp. oil / ghee
1 tsp. cumin seeds
2 green chili
2 cups doddapatre / karpooravalli / Indian borage
1/2 cup coconut, shredded or in pieces.
Yogurt as needed
Salt to taste
Ingredients for seasoning:
1 tsp. oil
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds

Directions:
* Heat ghee/oil and add cumin seeds. When they start to brown, add green chilis and doddapatre soppu. 
* Fry until water almost evaporates, about 5 minutes. The leaves change the color and reduce in quantity. Keep it aside and let it cool.

* Grind the leaves along with the coconut. It will come around to about a cup of paste. This ground paste can be used immediately or refrigerated and used within  2 to 3 days.
* Add the paste and salt to yogurt and mix well. Thambli would be slightly on thicker side and so add yogurt accordingly.
* Heat oil for seasoning in a small pan and add mustard seeds. When the seeds start to splutter, remove from heat and add it to the yogurt mixture.

4 comments:

Narmadha said...

Tambuli looks so healthy and nutritious. Thanks for sharing the very traditional recipe of Karnataka

Radha said...

This is a very interesting and new recipe for me. Once a few leaves come from my plant I am going to try this.

Srivalli said...

We used to have this plant for many years, though we never made this during that time. Later the plant dried and I have been ever since trying to get it back, it's not thriving. I have read so much about this tambli, I have been wanting to make it for a long time. Such a healthy dish.

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

doddapatre tambuli looks delish suma! I have the plant in my balcony and use it in my cooking regularly, will try this zingy tambuli next time!!!