These cupcakes even without any frosting are really a treat. They come out soft and moist every time. I have tried them a few times before, coming up with slight modifications each time and have enjoyed them all. These eggless, butterless cupcakes can be easily converted into vegan ones by substituting the milk by soy / almond milk and subbing the sugar with a vegan version. The dates added here can be omitted in case if you don't have them on hand but I highly recommend them for the little bursts of sweetness they add, while biting into these cupcakes.
Recipe adapted from Cook's Hideout
Ingredients: (yield 12 medium sized ones)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup milk (Soy / Almond milk for vegan version.)
1/3 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup mashed bananas (I used over-ripened 2 medium sized bananas)
10 roughly chopped soft dates
1/4 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
* Preheat oven to 350 deg F / 175 deg C. Line the muffin pan with paper cups. (I use paper liners even for my silicone muffin tray since it is easy to serve.)
* Sift together flours, salt, baking soda and baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add sugar to the same bowl and keep it aside.
* Add milk, oil, vanilla and mashed bananas to another bowl and mix well.
* Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients bowl and gently combine until mixed. Finally add dates and walnuts and give a stir.
* Fill each muffin cup up to 2/3rd and place the pan in the oven.
* Reduce the oven temperature to 325 deg F / 160 deg C and bake for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.