HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Recap of A - Z Rice Dishes / Cooking Carnival Event


It's time for the recap of the 'A - Z Rice' series I posted last month as part of the BM #68, aka Cooking Carnival. There was a choice for participants to go with either an ingredient or a category on a weekly basis or on a monthly basis. I settled almost on 'Breakfast' category before again wracking my brain over my theme and finally figured a rice dish would make the other adult at home really glad. The poor guy usually would be at work away from home and us on weekdays. He looks forward to some home cooked meals by the time he reaches home on weekends, or for some rice based meals to be precise being a south Indian. I therefore decided to pick 'Rice' as my ingredient for the marathon so that I would have some one to share the dishes that were prepared during the last few months.

I chose to divide my dishes between the following four categories so that it would be easier to pick my choice of dishes for the series and also to provide variety. My focus was mostly on spicy, one pot meals from Indian cuisine though you may not see some popular choices in the list as I may have already posted them previously on my blog. Some of the below dishes are a regular feature in my kitchen and some were tried for the first time. Among the latter, Dindigul Biryani, Gatte ka pulao, Varhadi pulao, Urad dal khichdi and Oliya have kind of become recent favorites.

Under Pulao / Biryani
Achaari Chole Pulao
Dindigul Thalapakatti Veg Biryani
Jodhpuri Vegetable Pulao 
Peas Pulao 
Qabooli Biryani 
Ram Pulao / Rajasthani Gatte Ka Pulao
Spinach layered Biryani
Tawa Pulao
Varhadi Pulao 

Under Khichdi & Similar:
Bhuna Khichuri
Fodnicha Bhaat
Hare Moong ki Chaaswaali Khichdi
Lilva Khichdi  
Urad dal Khichdi
Waghareli Khichdi
 
South Indian style Rice:
Chintapandu Pulihora
Gongura Pulihora
Iyengar Style Kadambam 
Kaju - Karivepaku Annam
Mamidikaaya - Kobbari Pulihora 
Yellina Chitranna    

Sweet Dishes:
Ellorai / Ellotharai 
Narali Bhaat
Oliya
Xmas Rice Pudding
Zafrani Pulao

Here is a pictorial recap of the rice dishes I published. They are in alphabetical order and please click on the recipe names to view the recipes. Hopefully you will enjoy the series as much as I enjoyed presenting them.







 
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-KptbZhhOG0M/V3HLkUDKiKI/AAAAAAAALyc/fesjWkYELOoswwMrfgPkzlvfpYajC-uswCLcB/s1600/mangocorice1.jpg

O for Oliya 
 
P for Peas Pulao 
 

 
T for Tawa Pulao
 

 

6 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

Suma I have bookmarked your complete series..we are a rice loving family and these recipes are going to be a hit. Excellent clicks with that rice fluffed up in a pressure cooker...something that I need to learn. Kudos.

Harini R said...

A fantastic compilation of some popular and some unique rice dishes.

Srividhya said...

You picked an amazing theme and on top you chose to do A to Z series. You rocked with all your rice recipes and awesome. Congrats.

Pavani said...

Amazing round up Suma. Loved all your rice dihes. I've about 10 bookmarked -- hopefully I can make them soon.

cookingwithsapana said...

My family loves rice and I have bookmarked this link for later . I am going to try most of the recipes. Good job dear.

Srivalli said...

Kudos on an excellent work Suma. I am sure this is going to help so many of us. I loved how nicely you had your categories summed up, very neat and all the dishes are excellent!