HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Friday, December 15, 2006

Poha Dosa



I was pampered by both my mom & MIL. I never had to enter the kitchen and prepare a meal, because of them. This went on until we moved here. I had only a little theoretical cooking knowledge about some basic stuff. Before moving, I had to sit and jot down recipes from my mom in a notebook. In those days of my culinary experimentation, some websites related to Indian food rescued me to certain extent. Some of the experiments were disasters though I followed the instructions and some are in my permanent recipe list. One of them is the following Dosa recipe. But, I don’t remember where I got this from. Anyway, thanking the contributor, whoever it was, I am posting this recipe.
This dosa has always turned out good and appreciated by everyone who tasted it. I usually soak the ingredients in the afternoon and grind them in the evening. I leave the batter in a warm place like oven overnight. I would like to add that, the batter does not raise and double in size when left to ferment overnight in the way the traditional dosa batter does.

Ingredients:
Rice – 3 Cups
Atukulu / Poha – 1 Cup
Yogurt – as needed for grinding
Salt – as needed
Oil – To make dosas

Preparation of Batter:
Soak rice and poha in water for about 3-4 hours . Throw away the water and grind them into a smooth batter using yogurt. The batter should not be runny. Add salt and leave the batter overnight and make dosas in the morning with batter.

Making Dosas:
Heat a penam / griddle. When you just sprinkle some water on the griddle, the water should sizzle and evaporate. This means the griddle is ready.Pour a ladle full of batter on the griddle and spread it into a thin circle with the help of the backside of the ladle.Take ½ tsp of oil and spread around the edges of the circle / dosa. Slow down the heat a little bit and let it cook for a minute or two. The lower side facing the heat should turn golden brown. Flip the dosa and again spread some oil around dosa and let it sit for a minute or less so that it is brown on the other side too. Remove the dosa with a spatula.Repeat the process with the remaining batter.


Serve dosas with chutney.


Post a Comment

No comments: