HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Green Peppers in Tomato Gravy

Recently, I asked my daughter to name the color of an apple. Naturally, I was expecting the answer to be red. Phew! What do I know? She answered red and green. My son chimed in "You forgot yellow". Ditto with capsicum, I should say. A capsicum was green to me until I moved to USA. I had no idea that I would see red, orange and yellow colored capsicum/bell peppers. Wikipedia search later showed me that, they are available in white, purple, blue and brown colors too. mmm.. These Google / Wikipedias have become my new source of Information (or entertainment?).

Now coming to the recipe, I am in constant search of preparing bell peppers in new ways, particularly curries with gravies. One of my experiments lead to preparation of the following which I am calling “Green peppers in Tomato Gravy” because I used green peppers and juicy, red tomatoes.
Please note that the measurements for the spices I have provided below are, to give an idea (a milder version). One can always adjust the spices according to their preference or can use garam masala instead of all the spices mentioned.


The ingredients required for this curry are as follows:
Green pepper (medium sized)- one
Tomatoes (medium sized)- two
Onion (big)- one
Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
Chillie Powder- 1 tsp
Coriander/Dhaniya Powder- 1 tsp
Cardamom (1 pod)- seeds powdered
Pepper Powder- a pinch
Clove (1)- crushed
Garlic Powder- 1/4 tsp
Cumin Powder- a pinch
Salt- Accordingly
Oil- 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds- 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds- 1/4 tsp




Preparation:
Cut the capsicum into half. Remove the seeds inside and chop into small pieces. Chop the onion.
Cook the tomatoes with some water in the microwave. Let them cool and puree them in a blender.
Mean while, heat oil in a pan / wok. When the oil is hot enough, put the mustard seeds and the cumin seeds. When they start to splutter, add onions and turmeric powder and stir. Lower the heat and cover the pan with a lid.
When onions almost turn translucent, add the chopped capsicum and stir once again. Cook till the capsicum is done.
Now add pureed tomato, salt, garlic and all the masala powders / spices.
Let it simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.Now the green pepper curry is ready. Enjoy it with rice or rotis.

By the way, it really turned out excellent. So, it is going to be prepared more often in my kitchen from now onwards.


Post a Comment

2 comments:

Lakshmik said...

Hi Suma

I really like all the recipes on your blog. I have added your blog to my blogroll. Happy cooking!

Anonymous said...

Hi Suma,

Love your website :-) I made this green peppers and tomato gravy and everyone loved it!! Thanks! Shall keep visiting for more recipes. Being a South Indian, I want to expand my range of North Indian cooking.. your range is very vast ;-)