HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Genasugadda Pachchadi / Sweet Potato Chutney

When ever I hear about 'Cooking with pedatta' book on other blogs, it always reminds me, my own paternal aunt. The only paternal aunt I had, whom we fondly called atthaiyya. Whenever we had annual family gatherings at my father's place, she was the one whom we kids would cling to. Besides her other amazing skills in various fields which I slowly learnt through my 'grown up' eyes, we were basically drawn towards her for her story telling abilities. She was a master in that. She never was in need of a story book to amuse us. She would then and there create a story based on listeners' demand. Yes, listener demand :) . We kids would ask her to tell a story about 'something' and she would then and there spun an amazing story which sustained our attention through out.
Kids' dinner and story time were meant to be together for us. We kids would be sitting on the cots spread in the court yard on moon lit nights and she would bring the food in a plate. After deciding what story we are going to listen to, she would start the story and at the same time each kid would go on eating 'muddas' (Small portion of food made into a ball) from her hand. By the time the story finished, every kid would have eaten enough pachchadi annam (rice and pickle), Koora annam (rice and vegetable) pappu annam (rice and dal) and perugu annam (rice and yogurt). Now when I think of those precious moments, I yearn for more.
This recipe is a little tribute to my aunt, who lost her battle to cancer a couple of years ago. Her name was Annapoorna and she was literally one, when it came to culinary skills. This chutney was her creation at one of the family gatherings. She prepared this chutney and asked us to guess what it was. Till then, no one in the family had ever heard of sweet potato chutney. The best answer everyone could come up with was coconut chutney. That's how this chutney tastes. Subtly sweet and spicy at the same time. It can be prepared in a jiffy as the recipe demands no roasting / frying of the vegetable.


Ingredients:
One cup peeled, grated sweet potato
One Tbsp Uraddal
One tsp mustard seeds

1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
Little asafoetida
6 Dry red chillies
2 Tsp oil
3/4 tsp salt

Preparation:
Heat oil in a small pan and add mustard seeds and uraddal. When uraddal starts to turn red, add fenugreek seeds, red chillies, asafoetida. When urad and fenugreek seeds have turned red, turn off the stove. Let it cool.
Grind this mixure with grated sweet potato and salt coarsely using a little water if required.
It stays fresh for a couple of days, refrigerated.

27 comments:

FH said...

Suma, we all have someone like your aunt, brings lot of good memories!
I loved to hang around my maternal grandmother like that!:))
Now, sweet potato chutney looks yum.Hot and sweet makes it yummy.

Anonymous said...

Sweeet potato chutney very new recipe to me and very nice tribute to your Aunt.

Suganya said...

Rice muddas are indeed special. Food is the right way to pay tribute to yr beloved aunt!

Dori said...

Never heard, seen, or tasted this before but I'm a huge fan of anything sweet potato...this sounds great!

Kribha said...

That's a really nice tribute to your aunt. Nice looking chutney. It is a new dish to me. Love the picture.

Swaruchy said...

The chutney looks yummmm Suma...Nice color....
We get nostalgic thinking abt our loved ones right......Ur atta's story telling and 'annam muddas' reminds me of my childhood....Those were the days dear :-)

Kumudha said...

I use sweet potato, but this sweet potato chutney is new to me!

The chutney looks so delicious.

bee said...

wow!! the swet potato is used raw? great recipe. very nutritious. thanks for sharing your memories of your beloved aunt. the flavour food is enhanced by these memories.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet tribute to your aunt, suma. May her soul rest in peace.
I have never heard of sweet potato being used in a chutney. So I am sure, even I would not have guessed. So should I use raw grated sweet potato for this?

Sreelu said...

suma, ma summer vacation kuda elage undedi, ma attiya annam kalipi andariki muddalu ecchedi.entha bagundevo. those days were really golden.nice recipe

Bharathy said...

Sorry for not peeping in here for a while,Suma..I was a little away from home,this month.
Went thru the posts I missed, and I realllly love each and every one of those authentic recipes,Suma!..esp the entry for JFI seemed to be very special!..:)

Shammi said...

Brill! I dont like sweet potato, so a savoury chutney recipe is JUST what I need! Should I peel the sweet potato before grating?

Viji said...

This is a must try item for me Suma. Nice flash back too. Viji

Latha Narasimhan said...

I just love all the andra pachdis! Your recipe is real mouth watering!

Apple said...

Chutney looks great Suma...and it's so nice to hear about your chilhood days and aunt's cooking skills....

Finla said...

Chutney looks delicious and with sic chillies yum yum

Suma Gandlur said...

Shyamala,
Yes, Sweet potato has to be peeled before grating.

Seena said...

Suma,
this is a new dish for me, thanks dear for sharing..

Tee said...

Sweet potato chutney looks great! I have never heard of this recipe before but I am sure it must be tasting delightful :)

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

that is one entirely new recipie and name for me, luks yumm

J said...

That is truly a new recipe for me!

remya said...

this is a new chutney to me....looks perfect..thanku for sharing suma

Sona - quick picks/pick quicks said...

thats an entirely new chutney to me, thanks suma

DEEPA said...

something really new and tasty .....will try it

Anonymous said...

Hello Suma. Enjoying your recipes one at a time.
In this sweet Potato chutney, do you steam or boil the sweet potatoes at all? Or raw?

Kindly allow me to use yahoo.

I will come back and see your reply, later.

meera

Suma Gandlur said...

Meera, thank you. Sweet potatoes are used raw here.
And regrading the comment section, Blogger allows me only this setting and I have no control over it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Suma. You replied and that is important.
As for Yahoo vs Google, I will see what to do !!

Thanks again!