HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Monday, November 3, 2014

Shrikhand (Short-Cut Method)

Shrikhand in short can be described as a thick, sweetened yogurt redolent with cardamom and saffron flavors and garnished with nuts. It is a sweet dish that is popular in the Indian states of Gujarat and Maharashtra and ridiculously easy to prepare. It is even eaten as a side dish to pooris in Gujarat. While this would be the basic, traditional version, another version prepared adding mango pulp, called aamrakhand is equally popular in Maharashtra.
Traditionally full fat yogurt is tied in a muslin / thin cotton cloth and allowed to drain until all the whey is separated and one is left with thick yogurt. Usually I follow this method when I have time. I leave the tied yogurt in a colander and place the colander over a container to catch the whey. And I place the whole setup in the refrigerator overnight so that I have the hung yogurt ready by the morning. If you want to prepare shrikhand from scratch then you can follow this method. However remember that the final hung yogurt would be less in quantity than the original yogurt you started with since some of it will be lost in the form of whey.
Then sugar is whisked into the hung yogurt until it is dissolved, garnished with spices and chilled before serving. 
For a short cut method, one can skip above steps and directly use the Greek yogurt as I have used here. I prefer powdered sugar over the granular variety since it is easy to mix. And sometimes I even use a sugar substitute. This shrikhand doesn't need chilling since the Greek yogurt comes from the refrigerator.
My husband and I love shrikhand and I frequently prepare it to eat as a dessert. However I paired it with pooris for the first time today and it was not that bad as I had anticipated. In fact I liked the combo.

Ingredients:
1 cup Greek yogurt (I used non-fat Greek yogurt.)
A generous pinch of saffron strands
1 tbsp. warm water / warm milk 
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar (or as per taste.)
1/4 ground cardamom
Sliced almonds and pistachios to garnish
Method:
* Gently crush the saffron strands between your fingers and add it to the warm water / milk and leave it aside for about 10 minutes.
* Add the Greek yogurt and powdered sugar to a bowl and gently whisk it until blended. 
* Next add the saffron along with the liquid and cardamom to the yogurt mixture and mix gently.
* Garnish with nuts and serve. If not serving immediately, refrigerate it until ready to use.

This 'Poori-Shrikhand' combo goes to BM #46. Check what other marathoners are cooking during this marathon.

Comments

15 comments:

Varada's Kitchen said...

Shrikhand poori is the traditional combo and it tastes great. You should try adding a little sour cream to the Greek yogurt. It will taste almost identical to the hung version.

Harini R said...

Very tempting. I am the only one who likes shrikhand with poori/roti in our place. As Varada suggested I also think a little sour cream would take it to a new level!

Usha said...

I have heard of this combo but never tasted it. Bowl of shrukand looks delicious and beautiful pictures.

Sarita said...

Wow great combo! Looks very yummy.

Unknown said...

This is my fav combo too and instant version looks so easy tempting..

Raj Homes said...

Very nice recipe for Shrikhand..

The Pumpkin Farm said...

ohh cool short cut version....but i prefer my shrikhand to be slightly tangy, so will mix the greek one with a spoonful of day old curd at home to get that little tang...lovely presentation

Srividhya said...

Great shortcut version. Love greek yogurt

Priya Suresh said...

Excellent, prefect for me, actually am a person who loves shortcuts.. Thanks for sharing SUma.

Pavani said...

That is one healthy & delicious dessert. My husband has aversion to yogurt, so I keep away from yogurt based dishes -- but drool over when I see them on other blogs.

Srivalli said...

Wow such sinful looking pictures Suma!..love the shrikhand though never had with pooris..

Nisha said...

The pictures look stunning. This is such a heavenly dish Suma!

Unknown said...

Wow this looks awesome.. beautiful pictures

Unknown said...

Wow.. Delicious & creamy shrikhand.

veena said...

I love this combo. Looks so inviting!!