HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Friday, June 5, 2015

Microwave Bitter Gourd Crisps


I am not a fan of bitter gourd from any angle for the obvious reason. I just used to manage eating kakarakaya podi that my mother prepared because of the delicious and crisp besan coating it had. And my husband who seems to be an opposite, loves the vegetable to the core and keeps buying it for himself. Right now, I have a dozen gourds sitting in my refrigerator as I am writing this. However these bitter gourd crisps have managed to change my opinion about the vegetable and have turned me into a fan to some extent. I enjoy these immensely (not needing any push at all from my husband to try) since the bitterness of the gourd is hardly noticeable in this case and I don't mind chewing away these healthy and guilt-free crisps. They are that good. Serve them as a side dish for sambhar / rasam dishes or just serve them as an evening snack.

Ingredients:
1 to 2 bitter gourds, depending on the size (I had about 35 slices.)
2 tbsp. chickpea flour / besan
2 Tbsp. Oil
Chili powder to taste
Salt to taste

Method:
* Wash and pat dry the bitter gourd. Slice the bitter gourd into thin discs. Discard any mature seeds. I used a large gourd and had about 35 slices.
* Combine besan, chili powder and salt in a wide bowl or a large plate. Add oil and the bitter gourd slices to the bowl and mix well so that each disc is coated with the besan mixture.
* Grease a microwave safe glass plate and arrange the discs in a singer layer on it.
* Microwave for about 5 minutes, checking once intermittently to make sure that discs have not stuck to the plate.
* Flip them and continue to microwave, checking once every two minutes. Remove once they turn crisp.
* Depending upon the microwave power, these crisps should take about 10 - 12 minutes from start to finish.

This is my post under '3 Ingredient Dishes' since oil and salt are not counted. Check the blogging marathon page to see what my fellow marathoners are cooking for BM#53.

Comments

21 comments:

Kalyani said...

Must try for all bitter gourd lovers back home ...

Priya Suresh said...

Ultimate crisps they are.. I wont stop munching if i make them at home.

smom said...

Can we bake these Suma?

Sarita said...

I like these crispy chips.. I tried once just simple pan fry.. Have to try this microwave method. They look yummy

vaishali sabnani said...

Awesome I simply love anything with this bitter veggie! The chips are very tempting and inviting.

praba said...

looking awesome...healthy way to eat this healthy veggie...

cookingwithsapana said...

Bitter gourd chips looks inviting. Bookmarked...

Archana said...

I love bitter gourd and hubby keeps nudging me away from the veggie....
Love these crisps awesome. Needless to say I will be trying these.

Harini R said...

I tried the baked version and I am sure these MW chips are just as addictive.

Corey Cananza said...

bitter gourd = best vegetable ever

rajani said...

I do love bitter gourd, so its not a punishment for me to have them. The basen coated way is new for me and would try it sometime

Pavani said...

I like bitter gourd and these chips do look very tempting to try. I think I have a few gourds in the fridge -- will try these soon.

Usha said...

I like bitter gourd and this is preparation is easy. Will try it

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

I love bitter gourd and I make the chips very often. Lovely presentation :)

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

You are making my job more and more tough, i managed to pic 3 dishes from a list of favorites from your blog and now this bittergourd crisps are making me weak!! Crisps look absolutely tempting!!

Chef Mireille said...

My mom loves bitter gourd and has been trying to get me to eat it since I was a child, especially with all the health benefits. No matter the different ways it is prepared I never like it. Maybe I'll have to see if these will change my mind...

Padmajha said...

We love bitter gourd and love to try any new dish made with it! Looks so crisp and tempting!!

Varada's Kitchen said...

They look really good. What an novel way to cook them.

Unknown said...

This one is my favorite vege I can enjoy this in any form. This crisp bittergords making me drool.

veena said...

wow!!These llok so crisp. Will try them soon

Sowmya :) said...

I am a fan of bitter gourd too but haven't tried this version of it....must do immediately....looks crisp and crunchy