HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Saturday, April 18, 2020

Spicy Sesame Tomato Chutney


I came across this chutney sometime ago when I was looking for something to pair up with the momos I had made. The original recipe had mentioned it to be an inspiration from a local Himalayan restaurant which made me to give it a try in the first place. It is a simple and easy to make kinda chutney, redolent with Asian flavors. All you do is toast the ingredients and blend. Onions and tomatoes lend a natural sweetness and tartness while sesame seeds add nuttiness to the chutney. One can easily adjust the spice levels by reducing / increasing the quantity of pepper flakes. Or even dried red chilies can be used instead as I had done.

Recipe Source: Here
Ingredients:
1 tbsp. oil
4 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 inch ginger piece, finely chopped
1 tbsp. red pepper flakes or to taste
3 tbsp. sesame seeds
1 cup chopped red onion
14.5 oz canned diced tomato (About 2 cups)
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup water

Directions:
* Heat oil in a pan and add garlic and ginger. Saute on low flame, until fragrant, for about a minute or so. Next add the sesame seeds and red pepper flakes and toast for a minute.
* Add onion next and fry until they soften. Add tomatoes and cook until soft and juicy, about 5 minutes.
* Add the above toasted ingredients, soy sauce, lemon juice and water to a blender and grind to a smooth paste. Taste and add salt if needed. Use immediately or keep refrigerated.

Comments

6 comments:

Sowmya :) said...

That is surely a recipe for keeps...love the pairing of tomatoes with sesame seeds and soy sauce. Looks amazing!

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Wow, thats a new chutney to try. I usually add sesame to my other chutneys never tried in tomato!! Looks interesting!

cookingwithsapana said...

Love the addition of sesame seeds in the chutney. It is a wonderful chutney to pair with dosa.

Srivalli said...

Sounds like a good one to have when we want something quick, I love sesame seeds and its taste in cooked dishes..

Harini R said...

I can imagine the flavors there. I am sure my family will love this chutney, momos or no :)

Narmadha said...

Such a simple and flavorful chutney. My eyes are on that momos. Need some to enjoy them.