HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Indian Breakfast Platter (Western and Central Sates)

Continuing with the breakfast theme of the week, here is a simple platter of dishes I picked from the western and central parts of India. I should say this is a simple platter that I could make though I had extra dishes originally on mind. I had made dhoklas for Gujarat state when the 'Thaalis and Platters' themed marathon was planned for the month of April. This was a platter I cooked about a couple of weeks ago picking a simple dish from each of the states in the region mentioned above.
My menu
Gujarat - Green Peas Dhoklas and Green chutney
Goa - Kailoreo and Tonak
Maharasthra - Thalipeeth and Simple Raita
Madhya Pradesh - Indori poha and Jalebi
Chattisgarh - Angarkar Roti (served with green chutney and a tomato chutney)

I did not cook all these dishes in one day. Dhoklas and poha were made in advance and were frozen. Tonak was made the previous day. I wanted to do bajra rotis, fafda and jalebi for Gujarat. I could make jalebis using an instant pack and thanks to my husband, who made those perfect swirls and fried them though he kept complaining that they looked more like chaklis rather than jalebis.  I had no energy to stand and fry fafdas. I paired the jalebis instead with the Indori poha which also happens to be a classic combo. Kailoreo, the quick and easy rice and coconut pancakes happened instead of pav in the case of Goa but I loved them anyway. Thalipeeth is a regular feature in our home and it was our lunch that day. The surprise among the lot was angarkar roti from Chattisgarh, which every one absolutely loved. They are not rotis but thick, crisp pancakes and that recipe is going to get posted soon. 


Hop onto this page to check out the recipe for green peas dhokla from the platter. 

My posts so far, in this 'Thaalis and Platters' marathon

Week 1 - Every day thaalis
Tamil Nadu thaali
Vellarikka kootu / Cucumber kootu
Goan vegetarian meal ~ Mangane
North Indian mini thaali ~ Lucknowi Dal
Bengali niramish thaali ~ Uchche Bhaja

Week 2 - Breakfast Platters
Banarasi kachori aur subzi
East Indian Breakfast Platter ~ Veg momos
Dal Pakwan
West and Central Indian Breakfast Platter
Green Peas Dhokla 

Comments

7 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

Wow ! Suma this is just fantastic ! I like the way you have picked different states to make a breakfast platter, and there are dishes which I haven’t cooked and don’t know the taste !

I too did a breakfast from North , South , East and West picking one dish from all regions for one of the BM’s , but that was way back !

Kudos to your hubby for making the jalebis , do tell him that he has done a fantastic job with them !
You ou have planned the thali very well , when a thali is elaborate , it’s wise to do it in steps .
I have to say Excellent Platter and totally loved it .

rajani said...

What a spread Suma! It’s a great visual treat. I remember the poha jalebi combination from a loooong time back and that was the only time I made jalebis. Why make when you can pick a pack from the store :-D!! I will check out the angarkar roti, I haven’t had it before.

Srivalli said...

The whole spread looks amazing Suma. You have surely taken so much pains to make this platter stunning! I am sure cooking each dish from different states made it even more enjoyable.

I agree when we take the time to make them for one meal, our family enjoys it better. I never learn and end up making everything on the same day that everybody complains they don't' get to enjoy it.

I too have few dishes reading about for the first time and will surely make it sometime. And of course, the jalebis have turned out great. On the whole, what a crowd pleaser!

Harini R said...

What a stunning platter there. The jilebis are perfectly shaped. Kudos to your husband. rest of the dishes except poh and dhokla are new to me.

Narmadha said...

Amazing idea to choose each dish from every state. Overall that is yet another exotic platter Suma. You have taken so much efforts.

Srividhya said...

All I can say wow wow wow. Man you are amazing. Love the way you picked the dishes from different states and combined. Really great efforts and a lot to learn. Awesome.

CookwithRenu said...

Liked your idea of combining the west and central and as the state or city boundaries merge, we do get a combination or similarities in food, and your platter reminds me of that. Loved each and every dish