HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Monday, September 28, 2020

Idli Platter ~ Proso Millet Idli

Idli is a popular breakfast dish from the southern parts of India, that is prepared by steaming a fermented batter of rice and black gram. They are steamed in special moulds called an idli stand which holds about two dozen idlis, the ones typically used in a household setting. Whereas the moulds used in restaurants are naturally bigger in size to hold more idlis, to cater their customers. The fact that they are steamed and use no fat in the preparation makes them an healthy breakfast choice for everyone including toddlers, the ailing or convalescing. The idlis are bland by themselves are usually served with a chutney and/or a soupy lentil gravy called sambhar.
The standard version idlis use rice and black gram that need soaking, grinding and fermenting before steaming which means that they need advance planning. There are versions with other grains substituted for rice which basically follow the same method. There are a second set of idlis where the ingredients are mixed and soaked for a short amount of time and steamed which make them instant versions. I have a few varieties of idlis in my platter today which fall under these two categories. I chose to go with about ten varieties though there are plenty of other variations. Most of the idlis in my idli platter are from Karnataka and the accompaniments I have are those side dishes popularly served in Bangalore restaurants - chutney, sambhar and saagu. Check my breakfasts page for more idli ideas.

I have the following in my idli platter.
Idli - Standard version prepared using idli rice and black gram.
Semolina idli / Rave idli (Recipe here)
Cucumber idli / Southekayi idli
Field beans Idli / Avarekayi Idli
Pumpkin idli / Kumbalakayi idli (Recipe here.)
Horse gram idli / Kulitha idli 
Flattened rice idli / Avalakki idli
Pearl millet idli / Bajra idli / Sajje idli
Proso millet idli / Baragina idli
Finger Millet idli / Ragi idli
I am posting the the proso millet idli recipe for today. I replace a portion of idli rice with either millets or millet flours in my regular idli recipe to make them healthier and nutritious. I haven't liked those idlis that much which are made adding no rice. We enjoy the version I am posting today and as far as I have noticed, the millets do not change the taste of idli at these proportions. They make a healthy and delicious breakfast or lunch along with some chutney and/or sambhar. My husband loves idli and so, I usually make a big batch of idlis and freeze them so that I don't need to make them every other day. The idlis can be refrigerated or frozen given that there are no power cuts in the area you live. If freezing, cool the idli immediately after they are demolded and put them in the freezer.  When ready to eat, heat them in the microwave, covered and you will have fresh, piping hot idlis.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup proso millet
1/2 cup idli rice
1/2 cup black gram / urad dal
Salt to taste

Directions:
* Rinse and soak the ingredients in water for about 3 to 4 hours.
* Grind them together to a thick batter adding as much as water needed. Add salt as well if living in a cold climate. 
* Transfer the batter to a container big enough (to allow the batter rise), cover and leave it aside to ferment. The fermentation may take anywhere between 8 to 14 hours depending upon the local climate. Make sure to place the batter in a warm place if living in cold climate.
* The fermented batter should look like the one below, light and frothy slightly smelling sour. Add salt if it was not added while grinding and gently mix to combine.
* Add water up to 2 inches in a steamer / idli cooker / pressure cooker base and heat it.
* Grease the idli plates and spoon the batter into moulds. Place the filled idli stand into the cooker and close the lid. Do not use the pressure valve on the lid if using a pressure cooker,.
* Steam the idlis on low heat until done, about 20 minutes or until the surface of the idli doesn't stick if touched with wet fingers. Turn off the stove.
* Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then remove the lid. Run a sharp spoon along the edges to demould the idlis.
* Serve them warm with chutney / sambhar. 
* These can be refrigerated or frozen as well.

7 comments:

vaishali sabnani said...

Omg ! Suma , just can’t believe my eyes ! Seriously I could never dream of so many idlis . For me it’s just the regular idli or maximum rawa idli that I make .
So for all these idlis did you soak everything separately or is it that you made at different times and froze the idlis ? I am curious ? Ha ha !

I have never thought of freezing idlis , It’s always right out if the steamer and to make the batter - omg - I find it a task . Actually grinding is a task .

I have a regular mixer grinder which takes longto grind these grains , so it’s ready batter - almost always .

Srivalli said...

OMG, I am floored! seriously I was dreaming of this platter but with the five varieties I came up with, I had a load of batter leftover that I had to use up quickly..I would surely want to know how you managed..pls do share how you managed 10 varieties, seriously mindblowing ..and its nice to know you freeze as well. It surely helps, I agree...btw with this measurement how many idlis will you get?..just wondering so that I can make a small batch with the varieties you have listed..:)

Harini R said...

Wow! 10 varieties of idlis in a platter? That is an achievement in itself. But then if you make two varieties each day and freeze them it will get done in a week :) I think with proper planning it is doable. Thanks for the ideas. I haven't tried horsegram, pumpkin and avarekai. Shall note it for future reference.

rajani said...

My jaw is hitting the floor Suma!! So many varieties here...I don’t even know where to look or which one to zero in on...my my my! This post sure is one of the best ones for me :-)

Srividhya said...

So many idli varieties and this proso millet idli is looking super soft and spongy. Lovely clicks.

CookwithRenu said...

Wow how did you made so many Idlis in one go, I mean it is not easy to make so many batters. I also thought of this platter but then with so much batter, gave up. Amazing and hats off.

Narmadha said...

So many varieties of idli in a platter. This looks so tempting and your proso millet idli looks so soft, spongy and porous.