HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Monday, October 31, 2011

Thotakoora Pappu


This summer, I made it a point to grow some of our favorite greens in our backyard and even in containers in the kitchen balcony. We could therefore enjoy a bounty of fresh gongura, chukkakoora and thotakoora (amaranth greens) after a long time. Today's post is about a favorite dish of mine made with thotakoora / amaranth greens. I was planning to do a special post for MLLA and when unfortunately I could not do so, I thought why not do a post about one of my favorite dishes. Thotakoora pappu or a dal with amaranth greens reminds me of home I left behind and to me is one of those homely foods that has comfort written all over it.
And obviously, this is going to Susan's MLLA, 40th edition hosted by me this month.


Ingredients: (6 servings)
1 cup toor dal / kandipappu
1 bunch of thotakoora / amaranth leaves (about 4 cups chopped leaves and tender stems)
2 tomatoes, chopped (optional but recommended.)
1/8 tsp turmeric powder
3 - 4 Tbsp thick tamarind juice or as needed (A lemon sized tamarind ball soaked in water and thick juice extracted.)
Salt & chilli powder to taste
For tadka: 2 tsp oil, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, few curry leaves and a pinch of asafoetida powder


Method:
* Wash the toordal and cook in a pressure cooker, adding the greens, tomato, turmeric powder and about 2 cups of water. Or cook in a saucepan adding water as needed until the dal turns mushy.
* Heat oil in a saucepan and add the tadka ingredients in the order mentioned. When the seeds start to crackle, add the cooked dal mixture, tamarind, salt and chili powder. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Bring it to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 3 -4 minutes and turn off the stove.
Serve warm with steamed rice / rotis. 


12 comments:

chef and her kitchen said...

Nice dal wid rice..fresh thotakura looks nice

Aarthi said...

This dish looks mouthwatering..Totally Yumm..

http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Flavourful , healthy and yummy looking

Sravs said...

yummy dal !! nice comfort food !!

Ongoing Event - Festive Food

Kalyani said...

totally reminds me of an Andhra meal that I had ageas ago ! slurp !


Kalyani
Join me in GFF - a 100-day Global Food Festival here
New event all this November: Flavours of China

Priya Suresh said...

Wow fresh greens, pappu looks super comforting.

kitchen queen said...

delicious and yummy dal.

contabilitate financiara said...

This recipe sounds very good and i think it is delicious and it fits perfect with my taste. My opinion is that this isn`t a very hard recipe so i will try it very soon, thanks a lot for sharing.

R said...

its so nice you could make such delicious dal out of plants u grew!

Uma said...

Looks so tempting and delicious. My favorite dish.
Uma@Trendy Relish

Kavi said...

This is superb! And so healthy looking! Just thought would let you know. I'm hosting the Healthy Lunch Challenge this month. If its not too much trouble, can I ask you to please read the rules & link back your entry to my event announcement page? Link is at the bottom. Thanks.

-
Kavi | Edible Entertainment
Ongoing event: Healthy Lunch Challenge

Pavan P. said...

Hi Suma,
This is my most favorite/cherished dal ever. I just can't find Amaranth/Thotakoora in my current city. This idea of growing your own crept into my nerves and I will do what ever it takes to grow it. Since I've living in the south for a year now, and there is plenty of sun most of the time, I shall take it up and see how it goes. Can you tell me if I can find seeds in any store or did you buy it from a store and planted it?

Regards
Pavan