Here is another traditionally deep fried snack in a guiltless form. The idea of roasted peas came last week when I was snacking on some sev mix that included fried peas. Somehow these peas never crossed my mind while planning this marathon though I have eaten roasted peas zillions of times before. This recipe is similar to the oven roasted chickpeas but the difference I noted is that it is hard to ruin this dish if done properly. The oven roasted version yields crispy, crunchy peas without any hardness. Enjoy a low calorie, yummy snack without any guilt.
2 cups fresh / frozen peas (I used about 14 oz. frozen peas.)
2 tsp. oil
Salt & chili powder to taste
* Wash the frozen peas in a colander and drain completely. Blanch the peas if using the fresh variety and drain.
* Wrap them in a thick towel and leave them for about 15 - 20 minutes. Or can be dried between absorbent towels.
* Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
* Combine peas, oil, salt and chili powder in a bowl and toss the bowl to combine. Or mix with your hand so that peas are coated well with the seasonings.
* Spread the peas on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and place it in the oven.
* Bake them, intermittently stirring once in every 10 to 12 minutes, until they turn crispy and crunchy. Do the taste testing to be sure.
(I baked around 60 minutes and turned off the oven. I left the baking sheet in the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes or so. Take the timings I mentioned as a mere guideline and start watching the peas carefully after about 30 minutes since the oven timings vary. )