HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Veggie Wednesday ~ Zucchini Parmesan Crisps

My husband has this habit of tucking away important things carefully and considers himself very organised. While he is at it, he also likes to think that I am just the opposite and take everything lightly ('Think' is the keyword here). People who know me personally may beg to differ and call me a neat freak but that is what my husband likes to believe. He puts things away so carefully that no one including him would be able to locate them when they are needed. That's what happened when I went searching for a hard disk of our old computer which is stuffed with pictures that I was supposed to use for blogging. We looked and looked around the house and couldn't locate it until now. The pictures I could use for this post were in it and I wondered if this post of mine will ever see the light of the day. These zucchini crisps along with the okra fry, handvo I posted last week have been in my drafts for years now, for the lack of better pictures. It is another thing that I used the same pictures for okra fry and handvo in this marathon since I couldn't prepare them again this month. With these zucchini crisps it was totally another story. The pictures I took earlier were good but as I mentioned above, the pictures went missing.

These zucchini crisps were not an experiment for this marathon but are baked regularly in my home since they are my daughter's favorite. I got some zucchinis and baked them again instead of wasting time over the old pictures. These were baked last month as an evening snack and so the pictures were taken when the light was really low. I was not happy with the pictures and was thinking of posting something else. However when I realized that I have to yet bake four more dishes for this marathon, I gave up and used the image. 

Zucchini is sliced into thin discs for this recipe and are coated with bread crumbs and cheese mixture. Then they are baked until the coating turns crispy. We cannot expect the zucchini to turn crispy here but the outer cheese coating provides the crunch and the flavor. These crisps are great to snack on and are a better alternative to the frying method.

Ingredients:
2 small zucchinis (I had around 25 slices)
1 tbsp oil
Salt and ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese 

Method:
* Preheat the oven to 425 deg F. Grease or line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
* Mix bread crumbs, salt, pepper and cheese in a bowl. 
* Wash and wipe dry the zucchinis. Slice them into about 1/4 inch discs. Add oil and the discs to a bowl and toss gently to coat.
* Dip the zucchini discs in the bread crumbs - cheese mixture and press down firmly so that the coating sticks to the discs. Flip and coat the other side too. Repeat the steps with the remaining discs.
* Place the bread crumbs - cheese coated discs on the prepared sheet and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes or until the coating turns crispy.
 
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 51.

19 comments:

Harini R said...

I also bake these in a different shape without the cheese and we love them. Shall try with the cheese topping next time.

Priya Suresh said...

If i make this ultimate zucchinis i wont keep myself away from munching.

Pavani said...

I love baked or roasted zucchini. Love that crispy coating -- will definitely try these out sometime soon.

Srividhya said...

you have got a nice crispy coat. zucchinis are very versatile

Varada's Kitchen said...

It looks so crispy! We love roasted zucchini in my house too.

Usha said...

Nice snack. Bookmarking the recipe

Hamaree Rasoi said...

That's why they say opposites attract !Also loved the look of the zucchini chips. Excellent reparation.
Deepa

vaishali sabnani said...

I loved reading the post on The Mystery of The Lost CD ! Lol
The zucchini chips look awesome and definitely can be featured on a regular menu.

Srivalli said...

Lovely looking picture Suma, though I take your word that the other pic was much better..:)..I can imagine those scenes happening..though I am a bit more organised and remember things, it's a case of treasure hunt when the spouse is involved!..:)..

Unknown said...

very delicious snack.. so tempting.

kitchen queen said...

awesome delicious chips.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

i felt like i readm y own story...it is exactly the same between me and hubby...glad that you make this often else it wud have been painful to put efforts again. the zucchini crisps look beautiful with the cheese on top

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Those zucchini crisps look yummy and beautifully done..

Saraswathi Ganeshan said...

Delicious chips and healthy way to enjoy it..

Kalyani said...

This finger food is so addictive..

And by the way same pinch on the "thinking we r not organised" .. Same story here although i am the one who's looking for things often !

Sneha's Recipe said...

Tempting, cheesy and addictive chips.

Gayathri Kumar said...

Zucchini crisps look so yum. Will try it when I get zucchini..

Sandhya Ramakrishnan said...

Love the cheese topping :)

Priya Srinivasan - I Camp in My Kitchen said...

Such a delicious and guilt-free snack!!! looks beautiful!! :)