HOME        |        ABOUT        |        COPYRIGHT        |        CONTACT        |         RECIPE INDEX        |         INDIAN THAALIS        |         MILLET RECIPES        |        EVENTS' ROUNDUP        

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Cracked wheat bisibele huli

When it comes to rice dishes, bisibele bhath tops my favorite list. I think who ever came up with this recipe is a genius. It is such a clever idea to incorporate the carbohydrate, protein, vitamins and minerals (needed) in a one pot meal when there was no concept of a food pyramid. Recently, I started to prepare a more healthier version of it by replacing the rice with cracked wheat. The cracked wheat version tastes as good as the original rice - dal one.

I see two varieties of cracked wheat being sold at Indian grocery shops here. One is coarser (left one in the picture) and other is a little finer version (right one in the picture). I prefer coarser version to prepare dishes when I am using it to replace rice as in this bisibele bhath or godhuma annam. I use the finer version to prepare upma. I have prepared bisibele huli using the finer version and the texture was not one of a desirable kind.

Ingredients:
Cracked wheat - 1/2 cup
Toor dal - 1/2 cup
Chopped vegetables - 2 cups
Water - 3 cups
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Bisibelebhath powder - 2 Tbsp
Salt - 1 & 1/2 - 2 tsp
Grated dry coconut - 1/4 cup (optional)
Ghee - 1 Tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cashews - 1 Tbsp
Curry leaves - A few

For the vegetables, I used carrots, potatoes, green peas, french beans and chayote. I used a little more quantity than I mentioned here. I also used a big sized tomato to replace the tamarind in the traditional dish. Wash all the vegetables. Peel carrots, potatoes and chayote. Chop all the vegetables.
Preparation:
Cook the cracked wheat, dal, vegetables along with turmeric powder and water in a pressure cooker until you hear 2 -3 whistles. If you don't own a pressure cooker, cook seperately in a big, sturdy, thick bottomed pan and you may have to add more water if you follow this method.
When all the valve pressure is gone, remove the lid. (Add more water if it is too thick. My measurements were perfect for my desired consistency). Add salt, bisibelebhath powder (adjust the quantities as needed) and dry coconut and let it simmer on low flame for 5- 10 minutes. Keep stirring in between. Turn off the stove.
Heat ghee in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, cashews and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds start to splutter and cashews turn golden brown, remove the pan. Add the ghee mixture to the cooked wheat - dal mixture and stir well.
Serve hot.
Note: This is healthier for diabetics.
Our meal today - Cracked wheat bisi bele huli, Rava payasam & Sabudaana papad

10 comments:

Lakshmik said...

Wow, now that's a recipe I love. Infact, believe it or not I was having a craving for sambar saadham from so many days. But, as I am on a diet I strictly avoid rice and could never make it. I cannot wait to make this now. Thanks a ton for the idea!

Seema Bhat said...

suma,
Oh my god..this is a very creative and a wonderful idea. You found a way to make bisibele bath double times healthier.
By the way is that you kid's photo on your display image. How cute.
-
seema

Suma Gandlur said...

Lakshmi,
Thanks. This is really delicious. Give it a try. Good luck with your diet.

Suma Gandlur said...

Seema,
Thanks.
That's my daughter Aksha.

Bong Mom said...

Hi suma
Thanks for the recipe. I like Bisi Bele Bhath, but never tried making at home
Is that your daughter's pic in the profile. She is sooooo lovely.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

The photograph is beautiful. The recipe looks delicious and mouth watering. I never knew that bisibele huli can be prepared with cracked wheat. Thanks for such a nice recipe.

Suma Gandlur said...

Sandeepa,
Bisibelebhath is traditionally made with rice-dal combination in 2:1 ratio. Just letting you know if you are interested.
Yes, that is my daughter. Thank you.

Suma Gandlur said...

Mr & Mrs. Dilip,
Thanks for your kind words about my blog. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying it. Keep visiting.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful idea of replacing the rice with cracked wheat. Prepared it last night & just loved it..

Anonymous said...

Got into this blog when searching for bisibele bhath recipe.
I made this recipe for dinner and it is a great hit in our family! Thanks to you.